Switch S-ATA IDE to AHCI??? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi;

I had recently replace my motherboard [MB], processor [CPU] and a new hard disk [HDD] due to crashs and bad sectors growing on old HDD. I had already installed everything, all software, updates etc on new HDD and new MB+CPU. My new MB was Asus M3A, and CPU AMD Phenom 9850 BE, after I had done everything, installs, update etc... I start to restore my backup files (~15GB) from my old HDD, and I found out that my coying speed much slower on new machine (around 1.5x slower then before). Compare to old system, I have a Gigabyte MB and AMD Athlon 3800+ and 80GB S-ATA-1 HDD, my new system are with S-ATA 2 HDD. So I went through again on my system configurations from BIOS setting, I found out the by default the storage setting are set to "IDE" and I had check on internet and found out that was the problem...

So I had tried several option from the Internet as follow:

1. Turn on MSACHI.SYS in Vista from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 ....... NOT WORKING!

2. Hackjob to get MB ahci driver install from http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ahci-Support-for-Ati-Sb600-Sata-Controllers-on-Existing-Windows-Installations ..........NOT WORKING TOO!

3. Last decision, reinstall with AHCI turn on...... NOT WORKING as its hang on "Green progress bar" on installation CD....

Was there anyone facing the same problem and able to fix it? By the way my OS is Vista Ultimate SP1 32Bits.

very thanks in advance and sorry about my english... T_T.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Normally, the above suggestions cannot resolve your situation.

Based on your description, please confirm the following points:

1.Dose the issue only occur when copying files from old HDD?

2.Do you have the same issue when copying files from new HDD?

3.Do you install two HDD on a same cable?

I suggest you first contact Asus ask for recommended best-practice suggestions on hard disk configurations in BIOS.

Please understand that Windows Vista will not work properly if there is a incorrect/non- best-practice settings.

After you check the BIOS settings with Asus, I recommend you cleanly install a new Windows Vista to test this issue.

Hope it helps.

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:25 AM