none
Some areas of Internet Explorer Group Policy settings removed when tried to add site to trusted site

Question

• Hello There,

In our environment, most of the Internet Explorer settings on user machines are managed via Group Policy. Internet Zone (Internet/Local Intranet/Trusted Sites/Restricted Sites) settings are defined using Administrative Templates ADMX (Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page) in group policy. We are running Windows 2008R2 Domain Controllers.

We recently started facing problem, whenever we make changes trusted site list, all settings defined for Internet explorer (mostly ADMX settings) are somehow getting empty and cause issues for end users.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Mahi

Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• We recently started facing problem, whenever we make changes trusted site list, all settings defined for Internet explorer (mostly ADMX settings) are somehow getting empty and cause issues for end users.

Hi Mahi,
    Were the changes getting empty in the GPMC on the DC or in the result of group policy when you run gpresult /r command on the clients?
    In addition, if the error occurred when you changed the settings in an existing GPO, you could create a new GPO to test if the same problem appears again.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Hello Wendy,

All settings related to Zones, trusted sites etc getting removed after making changes in GPO.

Say for example when I add a new site to trusted site list in IE GPO and commit the changes, all Zones, trusted sites are vanished in GPMC itself. I have to restore the settings from GPO backup.

Mahi

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi Mahi,
    Foe me, it is the first time to see this behavior. Please make sure to scan the system for corrupted files or virus which may be the cause.
    Then I would suggest to set security pages via registry in group policy preference and see if the settings in this GPO vanish or not when you add a new sites. Please refer to the details step by step from the following blog:
    https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-internet-explorer-security-zones.html
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:21 AM