Unable to open metrics configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Running into a problem with my new laptop, first week using vista might have hurt it from some of my old XP tricks.

Downloaded and ran CCleaner on vista after done installing all programs, things were stable for awhile, then cleaning up some stuff seems that my version of AOL freezes, it gives the error message of AL-0080 Unable to open metrics configuration file.

I uninstalled-reinstalled aol, re-set my laptop back to the time right after windows vista did it's updates, and got rid of a few other programs, the entrie computer was lagging before I restored. Currently everything except AOL is stable, talked to an aol rep and told her of the error message and she said it wasn't an AOL error but a system error.

Can't find any information about this error on the net, anybody can tell me if this file is missing from the registry?

Thanks

Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:28 PM

Answers

•  

Hi SPBRIAN, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general AOL/Windows Vista related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows Vista forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvistaitpro/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, you can try Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:28 AM

All replies

•  

Hi SPBRIAN, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general AOL/Windows Vista related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows Vista forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvistaitpro/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, you can try Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Sean,

Thank you very much for your response.

I uninstalled and re-installed Java on my machine, followed then by AOL again and it now appears stable. I spend most of my time in hotels with varying quality of internet connections and after moving to another hotel chain I have started to wonder if the hang ups were caused by a very slow/lagging internet connection.

I did try it in the Clean Boot as you instructed and did not notice any further software/hardware performance improvements.

Downside to all of my meddling is now that I have AOL working properly windows live onecare seems to have lost something it needs to run properly, can't seem to win them all.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post and with the intelligent thoughtful help.

-Brian

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:10 AM
  •  

Hi Brian, thank you for your update. For Windows Live OneCare issue, you can simply re-enable the item which the command column is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe" in Startup items.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:44 AM