USB flash drive problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I just bought new computer with Vista Home Basic. Everything looks fine except the fact that USB flash drives are not recognized despite the fact that the very same drives are recognized on other machines running all sorts of Vista, including Home Basic.
    Re-installation (from repair disk received with the computer with all updates downloaded and installed) did not help. What is the problem?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding the issue related to USB recognition, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.Check if all USB ports are not available, please plug in USB devices to each USB port to verify.

If just one USB port won’t work, there might be the hardware damaged. I recommend that you contact computer manufacturer for support.

Otherwise, if all USB ports stop working, please continue the step.

2. Microsoft has released a KB related to this issue, please visit the website as follow:

USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900  

3. Make sure that you enable the USB port in BIOS.

1)   Restart the computer and press Del or F2 to enter BIOS at the startup.

2)   In Advanced menu tab there will be USB 2.0 (enable/disable) or Legacy USB support (enable /disable).

3)   Choose enable, and save changes.

4)   Restart the computer and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding the issue related to USB recognition, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.Check if all USB ports are not available, please plug in USB devices to each USB port to verify.

If just one USB port won’t work, there might be the hardware damaged. I recommend that you contact computer manufacturer for support.

Otherwise, if all USB ports stop working, please continue the step.

2. Microsoft has released a KB related to this issue, please visit the website as follow:

USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900  

3. Make sure that you enable the USB port in BIOS.

1)   Restart the computer and press Del or F2 to enter BIOS at the startup.

2)   In Advanced menu tab there will be USB 2.0 (enable/disable) or Legacy USB support (enable /disable).

3)   Choose enable, and save changes.

4)   Restart the computer and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for detailed explanation.
    Unfortunately, the problem is a bit bigger. I tested all ports and they are OK in a way that I can use some devices (including portable hard drive which gets power through USB), but not flash drives (no matter what is brand).

It is wierd, but when I insert them, machine sees them, does some installation but then shows only "generic USB drive" which is 1) empty 2) not accessible.

I think I will simply return the machine and try to find one running XP.

But thanks again for your help

Dmitry
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for detailed explanation.
    Unfortunately, the problem is a bit bigger. I tested all ports and they are OK in a way that I can use some devices (including portable hard drive which gets power through USB), but not flash drives (no matter what is brand).

It is wierd, but when I insert them, machine sees them, does some installation but then shows only "generic USB drive" which is 1) empty 2) not accessible.

I think I will simply return the machine and try to find one running XP.

But thanks again for your help

Dmitry
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Additionally, let's perform the following steps.

1.     Try to manually install the driver for the device.

2.     Check Windows Updates for updated drivers.

3.     Try to install the drivers forcefully from the following location.

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf

By the way, you can download usbstor.inf from the following website.

http://www.infdump.com/download-inf-files_new.php/inffiles/U/USBSTOR.INF/5.1.2600.0/download.html

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

4.     Try to install drivers forcefully from the following location.

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\volume.inf

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:57 AM