Cannot run Windows Experince Index on Vista 64 RRS feed

• Question

• The drivers for the nvidia 8800 GTX finally made it to the web yesterday. I installed them on my system and tried to refresh my systems' performance rating. It craps out everytime with some error about WinSAT and an unexpected error and an unusual way.

The process it is running when it craps out is checking drive performance so I am confused if it still relates back to the graphics driver.

The Aero desktop appears to be enabled so I don't know why the performance index won't complete.

Systems:

Asus A8N Ultra

AMD FX-57

4 Gb Corsair DDR400

Sound Blaster X-Fi

XFX 8800 GTX

Vista 64bit RC1 build 5600

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:11 PM

All replies

• Before you installed the driver how was your system operating before? Were there any errors before or anything that wasn't working properly? And what type of errors are showing up, is it giving you an error code?
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:46 PM
  • The system was stable but because there were no drivers whatsoever for the 8800 GTX and Vista, my 2 graphics scores in the performance index were 1.0.

I don't get an error message with any kind of error code just a message box that WinSAT failed due to some unexpected error.

If I knew why it failed then I could investigate further but this message doesn't tell me anything

Of course this is RC1 build 5600, the graphics and sound drivers are beta and there are no nVidia chipset drivers.

Friday, January 19, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Check the event log and see what type of error occured. Type event viewer ->Application and Services logs -> Hardware events and look on that day to see what happened. It will usually tell you were the error happened and there should be an online link that may give additional information.
    Friday, January 19, 2007 9:13 PM
  • The event viewer returns error message that Windowa does not recognize, 100, 106 and 109. They all seem to relate to boot performance monitoring

106 is critical, it has something to do with background prefetch time

109 relates to the 8800gtx, it says device took longer to initialize

Thanks for your input

Monday, January 22, 2007 2:34 PM
  • I was able to recreate the same problem you have on a HP Compaq Intel P4. I got the lastest driver for the intergrated video card. Got Aero to run and all the other features  work, but when I try to update my score it gave me the unknown error about WinSAT, saying that windows system assement tool has stopped working. I checked the event log and even online. There was a similar problem in an earlier version but it wasnt related to WinSAT, but a user error. I'm not sure what it's doing but I will keep working on it.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Problem resolved.

I originally installed Vista on my large data drive while XP remained on my raptor striped array. As a data disk there was a folder called Program Files which Vista renamed when it installed on that dirve. To use my applications under XP I had to move them back into the Program Files folder which must have confused Vista.

I repartioned the data drive, installled Vista into a clean partition by itself and everything went smoothly. My performance index is 4.5 which I suppose is decent, the limiting factor being my FX-57 cpu running at 3.0 Ghz. The 8800GTX returned a graphics score of 6.9 for both measures.

Thanks for all your help

Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:10 PM