none
Error creating search index components

Question

• Hi

I am setting up Search on a new SP2013 farm using this article. My setup is different in that respect that I have two combined web/app servers and two dedicated search servers (called IDX1 and IDX2).

When running the script to create the index components, it fails:

New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent : Cannot bind parameter 'RootDirectory' to the target. Exception setting "RootDirectory": "Could not find a part of the path ...

The reason is apparently that the script that is running on the CA-server is looking for the locations for the primary and replica copies on the local server rather than on the two IDX-servers.

How can I change the script in order to tell it to look on specific servers?

And what security permissions are nescessary in the index directories?

Thanks,

Jakob

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:19 AM

Answers

• Hi J.Rohde,

This is an know issue.

Cannot bind parameter 'RootDirectory' to the target. Exception setting ""RootDirectory"": ""Could not find a part of the path 'd:\index4'."

Workaround    You can create the new index component using the following procedure instead:

$host02 = (Get-SPServer"<Name of server>").Name

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchserviceApplication

$t = $ssa.ActiveTopology.Clone()

$ic = (New-Object Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.IndexComponent $host02,1);

$ic.RootDirectory =""d:\index4"

$t.AddComponent($ic)"

Thanks,

Jack

Jack Gao
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:47 AM

All replies

• Hi J.Rohde,

This is an know issue.

Cannot bind parameter 'RootDirectory' to the target. Exception setting ""RootDirectory"": ""Could not find a part of the path 'd:\index4'."

Workaround    You can create the new index component using the following procedure instead:

$host02 = (Get-SPServer"<Name of server>").Name

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchserviceApplication

$t = $ssa.ActiveTopology.Clone()

$ic = (New-Object Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.IndexComponent $host02,1);

$ic.RootDirectory =""d:\index4"

$t.AddComponent($ic)"

Thanks,

Jack

Jack Gao
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:47 AM
  • Missing 

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $t

Friday, June 01, 2018 1:55 PM