none
External USB Drive not recognized for backup

Question

• I'd like to back up my WSE 2012 R2 server to an external Seagate HD.

File explorer sees the drive (WSE assigns it a drive letter) and you can easily copy or delete files from it, however the WSE 2012 R2 Server back-up wizard does not recognize the drive at all.

I get an error message that says something to the effect that "The wizard cannot find any drives that are suitable for a backup destination ...."

I'm stumped. 

Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:26 PM

Answers

• Yeah, I suspect it may have a protected partition on the USB drive that is preventing WS2012E from seeing it as a viable drive for backups. Reformatting the drive (NTFS) should fix that.

Merv Porter

==========================

• Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:56 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 12:56 PM
  • What model? Look here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.windows-small-business-server-external-backup-drives-compatibility-list.aspx

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Thursday, September 03, 2015 2:49 AM
  • Thank you Grey, I was running the wizard. I'd tried using the GUI and it also cannot see this Drive.  

Update June 2016:  I finally got the seagate external to work.  The problem was there was a hidden OEM Partition.  I had formatted the Drive many times, the hidden OEM partition stayed there, invisible until I looked at it in Disk management.  I could not delete the partition until I found out about Diskpart.  I did as suggested below and now WSE recognizes the disk for backups!  Thanks guys!  I hope this helps someone else in the future.

A brief introduction about Diskpart

Diskpart is a kind of tool that manages hard disk and partitions. It has many functions such as create partition, delete partition, merge (extend) partition, etc. in theory, it totally can replace some third-party software such as partition magician and so on. In addition, it has some functions partition magician this production cannot run, such as setting dynamic disk, mirrored volumes, etc, and it doesn’t need to restart computer to take effect after setting partition. it sounds convenient and time-saving. But, diskpart have to run in command prompt. If you determine to delete OEM partitions, you can make it according to the following way below to do it.

Step-by-step tutorial to follow

Step1: Hit “Windows Key” + “R” to open the run dialogue box and type “diskpart” and hit “OK” to open a black command prompt window.

Step2: Type “list disk” to display all the disks of your computer.

Step3: Type “select disk n”. Here n stands for the disk you want to work well.

Step4: Type “list partition” to display all the volumes on the hard drive.

Step5: Type “select partition n”. Here n stands for the volume you want to delete.

Step6: Type “delete partition override” to get rid of the volume.

Step7: Type “exit” to close the window.

Once you do that you have removed the OEM partition on the drive.

• Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:37 AM
    • Edited by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 3:06 AM Update with solution to the problem
    • Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 3:19 AM
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:19 AM
  • Great !  Thanks for the update

FWIW  Diskpart>select disk>Clean

Clean will wipe the disk with a lot less keystrokes.

Grey

• Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:18 PM
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi:

Strange that it says there is nothing there.  Can you verify the format of the external USB drive?  It should by NTFS 4k sectors.  If not try formatting it to those specs.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, August 31, 2015 10:46 AM
  • Yeah, I suspect it may have a protected partition on the USB drive that is preventing WS2012E from seeing it as a viable drive for backups. Reformatting the drive (NTFS) should fix that.

Merv Porter

==========================

• Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:56 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Had not considered a protected partition.  You can verify the number and size of partitions in disk management.  Assuming there is nothing on that drive you want use disk management to remove all partitions and create one, format NTFS, 4k sectors.

Monday, August 31, 2015 1:43 PM
  • Thank you for the replies, I've been out of town on business.

OK, I'm stumped, the drive has been formatted several times NTFS 4K sectors. It is completely empty. 

The Dashboard sees it fine, and when I try to add it to do server backups it comes back with that same error message.  I just reformatted it again, using the WSE 2012 R2 server to do it, still nothing.  It is an empty 1 TB Seagate drive.

Help? 

Thursday, September 03, 2015 1:08 AM
  • What model? Look here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.windows-small-business-server-external-backup-drives-compatibility-list.aspx

Thursday, September 03, 2015 2:49 AM
  • Well, the unthinkable happened. 

For some unknown reason my server had a catastrophic meltdown, and sadly I was never able to back up my server, I could not get my external drive to work for WSE 2012 R2 backup.

Any suggestions on an external drive I can back up my new server to once, I rebuild everything? 

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Start a new thread when you get the server rebuilt.  I think you may have been running the backup my server wizard from the dashboard and the wizard may not have liked your drive for some reason

If you press the windows key and type backup, then click on windows server backup, you will get the full GUI you should be able to see the external usb drive.  2012R2 is not as picky about external drives like previous versions of server.

Grey

Saturday, June 18, 2016 2:02 PM
  • Thank you Grey, I was running the wizard. I'd tried using the GUI and it also cannot see this Drive.  

Update June 2016:  I finally got the seagate external to work.  The problem was there was a hidden OEM Partition.  I had formatted the Drive many times, the hidden OEM partition stayed there, invisible until I looked at it in Disk management.  I could not delete the partition until I found out about Diskpart.  I did as suggested below and now WSE recognizes the disk for backups!  Thanks guys!  I hope this helps someone else in the future.

A brief introduction about Diskpart

Diskpart is a kind of tool that manages hard disk and partitions. It has many functions such as create partition, delete partition, merge (extend) partition, etc. in theory, it totally can replace some third-party software such as partition magician and so on. In addition, it has some functions partition magician this production cannot run, such as setting dynamic disk, mirrored volumes, etc, and it doesn’t need to restart computer to take effect after setting partition. it sounds convenient and time-saving. But, diskpart have to run in command prompt. If you determine to delete OEM partitions, you can make it according to the following way below to do it.

Step-by-step tutorial to follow

Step1: Hit “Windows Key” + “R” to open the run dialogue box and type “diskpart” and hit “OK” to open a black command prompt window.

Step2: Type “list disk” to display all the disks of your computer.

Step3: Type “select disk n”. Here n stands for the disk you want to work well.

Step4: Type “list partition” to display all the volumes on the hard drive.

Step5: Type “select partition n”. Here n stands for the volume you want to delete.

Step6: Type “delete partition override” to get rid of the volume.

Step7: Type “exit” to close the window.

Once you do that you have removed the OEM partition on the drive.

• Edited by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 3:06 AM Update with solution to the problem
    • Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 3:19 AM
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:19 AM
  • Great !  Thanks for the update

FWIW  Diskpart>select disk>Clean

Clean will wipe the disk with a lot less keystrokes.

Grey

• Marked as answer by Cain57 Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:18 PM
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:16 AM
  • I have an issue to recover files from an external drive in SBS 2011.

The USB drive is connected and I can backup to the drive with no issues.

When I want to recover a file from the same drive SBS 2011 cannot "see" the external USB drive

Any ideas?

Danie

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 12:44 PM
  • You should start a new thread instead of adding on to an answered one.  In the new thread please describe exactly the steps you are taking to recover a file

Grey

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 1:24 PM
  • Maybe somebody can help me

I want to recover a file from a USB backup device in SBS 2011, but the recover wizard do not "see" the USB device. In the past it was a straight forward operation

• Start the wizard
    • find the source
    • find the file
    • restore

I can do backups to the external drive with no problems.

I am also able to see the drive in device manager.

Any help/suggestions out there?

Thursday, July 07, 2016 4:52 PM
  • You should start a new thread. Old threads do not get as much attention as new ones because they appear to be answered.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Thursday, July 07, 2016 4:55 PM
  • If you just need to get a couple of files you can mount the vhd and copy them out

https://www.petri.com/mount-vhd-iso-file-windows-server-2012

Grey

Thursday, July 07, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Legend.

Been scratching my head for a little while with this one. Backup now running on Windows Server Essential 2012 R2 with Seagate 8TB disk.

• Proposed as answer by Bradbiss Sunday, March 12, 2017 2:43 AM
    Sunday, March 12, 2017 2:41 AM
  • I am stumped as well.  I have a Windows 2012 R2 server that my company bought 2 years ago.  At that time we purchased 2 WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB external hard drives to use as alternating backups.  We use an outside IT company and they setup one but not the other.  I was able to set up the second one myself through wbadmin (I am only somewhat compute literate).

I store the backups at home and I alternate bringing one of them in each day.  I looked at the list of backups a couple of months ago and noticed that it only backs up to one of the drives now.  Every time the 2nd drive is attached the backup fails.  (I do not attach both at the same time).  The backup was working at some point in time because the information was on the external drive however it only lists the backup for approximately 30 days so this has worked since at least April.  I have tried modifying the backup schedule to add another destination but it does not see the external drive.  I have tried to reformat it multiple times to the NTFS 4k and up until today I have gotten an error telling me that it was unable to reformat the drive.  I had a little extra time to play with it today and tried again and the reformat worked.  However, wbadmin still does not see the external drive when I try to modify the backup schedule.  I rebooted the computed and checked again and still nothing.  Then I found this forum and I successfully deleted the OEM partition following the directions for the command prompt and I still can not see the drive in the wbadmin.  I again rebooted the server and still nothing.  

Please help!

Thanks,

Melissa

Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:37 PM
  • I would do a diskpart clean then format the drive ntfs.  If it still does not see it get another drive

Grey

Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:29 PM