none
Is it possible to create one employee directory from multiple tenants? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I asked this question in the Microsoft community: 

Our company has multiple tenancies under it's umbrella and we want to create one employee directory to pull in employee information from all tenancies. This directory needs to be accessible to preferably all employees, but at least some employees from each tenancy. When employees update details (skills, job title etc), this should automatically pull through. In other words we don't want to manually set up such a directory. 

Is there any way to do this, either by linking tenancies or some other way? I've done plenty of searching online and research with internal team members, it seems to be almost impossible but I'm hoping by reaching out someone can provide a solution. 

Ultimately we want to make this available on our Sharepoint Intranet Hub. 

I got referred to here after the following response: 

Hi tewa_1,

Based on your description, you want to expert employee directory from multiple tenants and keep it updated.

About exporting users, you can directly export it via Microsoft 365 admin center > Users > Active users > "…" >Export Users, and this will be exported as a .csv file.

However, if you want to combine these .csv files and then keep the file automatically updated, it may need other tools, such as: PowerShell. And there is a thread where others have similar needs: Retrieving user information and organization structure from AD?.

So we recommend that you can go to Microsoft TechNet community, the members and engineers in this community are more experienced in this area, so my suggestion is to post your problem in there. You will get a more detailed and professional answer to your problem there. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best regards,
    Jazlyn

Can anyone help out further? Even if it's highly technical, I just want to be able to present something back to other departments for them to make decisions on. 

Thanks. 

Friday, May 29, 2020 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't think it's possible to create such a employee directory and automatically updated.

Like the community said, you could export the user infomation from multiple tenants to a single csv file. You could use powershell script to do the job. If you want to keep the file updated, you need to run the powershell regularly. 

Best Regard,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 1, 2020 9:35 AM