CD/DVD drive not present in Windows 10

General discussion

• I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on a separate disk drive in a dual boot system with my Windows 7 drive. The installation went quitesmoothly and most things seemed to work perfectly except that the DVD/CD drive (the one I used to install Windows 10) was not visible and Device Manager indicated it was not even connected.

This problem is unique to Windows 10. I have a two drive dual-boot system with Windows 7 and the CD/DVD drive works properly in Windows 7

I realize that this Technical Preview is a work in progress and perhaps this problem will be fixed through the upgrade process but I would appreciate it if you have any insights about this problem.

Thank you, Ken Gash

Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:51 PM

All replies

• could be a number of causes, likely a chipset driver is needed, so try your support disk

MSFT Signature

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!
    Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

Monday, October 20, 2014 12:19 AM
  • could be a number of causes, likely a chipset driver is needed, so try your support disk

MSFT Signature

Thanks for your reply. My PC specifics are as follows:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R MB
    8192 Megabytes DDR3 Memory
    2.85 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930 CPU
    WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 (500 GB)
    WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (1000 GB)
    ST3320620AS (320 GB GB)
    ASUS DRW-24B1STi [Optical drive]
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
    Sound Blaster Audigy FX
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1

I'm not sure how to update my chipset for Windows 10 since there doesn't seem to be any driver sets for this new OS. The Windows 10 is installed on the third hard disk (320 GB)

Monday, October 20, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Hi Ken Gash,

Do you mean that you cannot see DVD rom in device management?

What’s meaning of  Device Manager indicated it was not even connected? Can you give us a screenshot of this issue?

Currently, you can choose “Scan for hardware change” in device management to check if it makes any difference.

If not, please upload the setupdev.log in C:\windows\inf folder, we need this information to analyses your problem.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:07 AM
  • open MSCONFIG and select the boot options, get rid of 10

then wipe the second disk

remove the main disk and install 10 on a single disk

you may need to check your drives to be sure the DVD is on the first 4 SATA headers, same for the boot drive

MSFT Signature

Monday, October 20, 2014 11:39 AM
  • open MSCONFIG and select the boot options, get rid of 10

then wipe the second disk

remove the main disk and install 10 on a single disk

you may need to check your drives to be sure the DVD is on the first 4 SATA headers, same for the boot drive

MSFT Signature

Thanks for your response.

Do you mean that I should disconnect all drives but the one I will install Windows 10 on? Here is a shot of my BIOS showing the connections. ( actually have 3 drives connected.)

The optical drive is connected as Channel 0, Slave,

Monday, October 20, 2014 11:54 PM
  • you should be using SATA, IDE was obsoleted in 2004, what year is this

just use 1 disk for now and test windows 10 but it looks like your box may not be too compatible

MSFT Signature

Monday, October 20, 2014 11:57 PM
  • Hi

i have the same troble when i upgrated from w7 ultimated,  but i go back and "remuved evrerything and reinstal windows and that probblem was fixed .

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:02 AM
  • Hi

i have the same troble when i upgrated from w7 ultimated,  but i go back and "remuved evrerything and reinstal windows and that probblem was fixed .

hard disks are cheaper than ever, so i found it expedient to give a preview its own disk

with a mobile machine, i swap out the hard disk to try a new os all the time

MSFT Signature

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:04 AM
  • you should be using SATA, IDE was obsoleted in 2004, what year is this

just use 1 disk for now and test windows 10 but it looks like your box may not be too compatible

MSFT Signature

I originally had a dual boot with Windows XP and Windows 7 so I had my BIOS setup as IDE rather than AHCI. Do you think a  change to AHCI this will help with this problem?
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:06 AM
  • XP has problems with AHCI which is probably the reason you are having problems

if you can get a driver floppy it may be possible to install AHCI for XP

this is why the preview is best on a test box or virtual machine

http://hardcore-games.azurewebsites.net/wp/dual-boot.php

MSFT Signature

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:15 AM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but I had same issue and was not showing up in device manager either.   I resolved by going to regedit then "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\".   Delete everything within atapi and the reboot into safe mode.   While in safe mode go to device manager and remove all devices under IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS,  then reboot into normal mode and everything was fixed for me.  Unsure which of the 2 actually solved it, but both my CD Drives are working fine now.  
    Sunday, February 08, 2015 3:24 PM