none
Unable to Install Exchange SP3 Rollup 24 on SBS 2011

Question

• Hi All, 

Im Trying to install Update Rollup 24 for Exchange 2010 SP3 (KB4458321) on Windows 2011 SBS Server which currently has Rollup 21 Installed.

The  update seems to install and go through with no errors, but once i restart the server and check the version number it never updates past 14.3.399.0 which is the Rollup 21 version number.

Rollup 24 notes mention that its supposed to resolve an issue with Rollup 23 where the install fails but doesnt show any messages to say so, but it seems to be still doing the same thing for me.

Ive also tried installing Rollup 23 and 22 but they both also fail to install.

Ive Run the update from an Administrative Command Prompt , disabled Anti Virus, Disabled Windows SBS Manager Service and Checked that the Exchange Services were disabled which have fixed various other issues in the past but this one has me stumped.

• Edited by Jason Canobie Monday, November 12, 2018 5:00 AM added extra
    Monday, November 12, 2018 4:58 AM

Answers

• I didn't realise it had actually worked, 

As in the Exchange Management Console the version number still lists as 14.03.0399.000 not the updated one 14.03.0419.000 as in the Exchange Management Shell 

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that Exchange version number does not change after installing KB4458321.

As far as I know, KB4458321 is corresponding to version 14.03.0419.000.

There is known issue in this update:
    When you try to manually install this security update in "normal mode" (not running the update as an operating system administrator) by double-clicking the update file (.msp), some files are not correctly updated.

To avoid this issue, please try to manually download and install this security update:
    1. Download KB4458321 from below link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57306

2. Right-click Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the full path of the .msp file, and then press Enter.

Please reference “Update Rollup 24 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3” for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4458321/update-rollup-24-for-exchange-server-2010-service-pack-3

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Hi Eve, 

I have already tried to perform the install using those instructions which i found elsewhere, but with no luck.

I have just found that this isn't just related to one server as well, we manage quite a few SBS Servers all on different networks and have just found a second server with the same problem, havvnt tried the rest as of yet.

Thanks 

Jason Canobie

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, please provide detail OS information and I will try to reproduce it on my test environment:
    Open run, type “winver” and end with enter, provide me the detail OS version and build.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:35 AM
  • Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 12:16 AM
  • Hi,

For Exchange update installation failure, we may also need to collecting log file to identify the details.

Try to clear the data in the "%SystemDrive%\Windows\TEMP" folder first, then, try to install update again to check the result.

Besides, if problem persists, please confirm that if there is log file such as Exchangesetup.msilog in the "%SystemDrive%\ExchangeSetupLogs" folder.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Hi Eve, 

I do have a Exchangesetup.msilog file in the folder however it hasn't been modified or updated in the last 5 years.

As well as that its 43mb in size.

Thanks

Jason Canobie

Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Can you login as the build in Administrator? You can enable that account and set a password from ADUC. Try to run the update again from a command prompt

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Hi Mariëtte, 

Unfortunately i had already tried this , have just tried it again from the builtin admin but the logs are still not getting updated at all.

Friday, November 16, 2018 12:58 AM
  • Can you run:

Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}

and post the output here. Would like to know what the current CU level is. It may help to first install CU23

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, November 18, 2018 10:18 AM
  • Looks like its the correct version to me.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}

ProductVersion   FileVersion      FileName
    --------------   -----------      --------
    14.03.0419.000   14.03.0419.000   C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ExSetup.exe

• Proposed as answer by Mariette Knap Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:15 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2018 4:43 AM
  • That is CU24 so what is the problem?

Mariëtte Knap

Monday, November 19, 2018 6:46 AM
  • I didn't realise it had actually worked, 

As in the Exchange Management Console the version number still lists as 14.03.0399.000 not the updated one 14.03.0419.000 as in the Exchange Management Shell 

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:09 AM