none
Upgrading Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 to 2016 Server Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 6 bay Seagte WSS device which runs Windows Server 2012 R2. The system runs on an atom processor, but otherwise acts like a normal copy of Windows Server 2012 r2 - with the Essentials management tools (which I currently don't use since I also have a 2016 Datacenter). I want to upgrade the Seatgate WSS device to Server 2016, but when I try to run the upgrade it fails. Can these embedded versions of Windows Server be updated to 2016? 
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The best place to ask is probably Seagate support.  Not sure how one would "upgrade" since there is no inplace upgrade for server products.  Might be able to wipe and reinstall the newer version if there is a way for the box to recognize the installation media.  But the answer lies with Seagate.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

If it is pre-install OS which is purchased together with hardware device, please contact the hardware provider to confirm the possibility of system upgrading. Including the hardware supporting/compatibility for Windows Server 2016. 

Besides, as far as I know, there is no “in-place” upgrade way for Essentials Server. a recommended way would be migration. 

As article provide the details steps - Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/essentials/migrate/migrate-from-previous-versions-to-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:15 AM