none
How can I use Diagnostics Object Model APIs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

In the Internet Explorer DevCenter page I could reach a very interesting section about developer APIs. In particular there is a section devoted to the Diagnostics Object Model API. This is something very cool I think but the problem is that I couldn't find a way to use such APIs.

There are many pages about methods, properties that one can use, but absolutely no page where it is possible to download something or understand how to use these tools. For example consider the DiagnosticsGlobalScope object used across this API to retrieve references to all methods and other objects for diagnostics: I tried typing it in F12 console, but did not succeeded in getting a reference to a valid object.

How am i supposed to use this API?

Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• How am i supposed to use this API?

Perhaps it is only there to help document the DT source?  E.g. we can see that the DT is implemented in Javascript and see its source.  Does it get to use these things (or programs which interface to them) because it is the DT?

I think my first question would be:  What is the "Diagnostics Script Engine"?  Seems to be rather nebulous?  Currently 6 hits on BING.  More frequently but just as nebulously referred to as the "Diagnostics Engine"?

We get referred back/up to this page but the word "Diagnostics" does not even appear there?

Windows Internet Explorer API Reference

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:16 PM
    Answerer
  • I see, thank you Robert. What disappoints me the most is, unfortunately, the documentation. As you pointed out it is not really explained what this Diagnostics Script Engine is.

I tried looking in F12 application. But no mention of this. I tried typing those commands in the shell but agin same result. It is also said that this tool cannot be used from Javascript... However some of the APIs are actually targeting Javascript. I am a little bit confused.

Andrea Tino

Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

As the issue is specific with IE development, you may contact Microsoft IE Dev center for further assistance on the issue:

Contact - Internet Explorer Dev Center:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=iedevelopment

Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:42 AM