Reinstalling MOM Agent for Forefront RRS feed

• Question

• Good day-

Due to an imaging issue, I now have DCOM errors all over the place and it's related to the MOM Agent.  I know that uninstalling and reinstalling the agent can fix the issue.
    I know the command line to uninstall..but can someone help me with the reinstall?

I've tried this and it doesn't work for me:

MsiExec.exe /i C:\Forefront\CLIENT\momagent.msi /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMReinstall.log" CONFIG_GROUP="ForefrontClientSecurity" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="FOREFRONTSERVER" AM_CONTROL="Full" REINSTALL=ALL

I just want a nice quick way to reinstall the MOM Agent via command line.

Thanks!
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post

According to your description, I understand that you want to reinstall MOM Agent with command line.

I think the command line your have is basically correct, but you may miss the quotation marks on “ALL”. Please correct the command as follow and see if it works:

MsiExec.exe /i C:\Forefront\CLIENT\momagent.msi /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMReinstall.log" CONFIG_GROUP="ForefrontClientSecurity" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="FOREFRONTSERVER" AM_CONTROL="Full" REINSTALL=”ALL”

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post

According to your description, I understand that you want to reinstall MOM Agent with command line.

I think the command line your have is basically correct, but you may miss the quotation marks on “ALL”. Please correct the command as follow and see if it works:

MsiExec.exe /i C:\Forefront\CLIENT\momagent.msi /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMReinstall.log" CONFIG_GROUP="ForefrontClientSecurity" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="FOREFRONTSERVER" AM_CONTROL="Full" REINSTALL=”ALL”

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:39 AM
  • Putting quotes around ALL did not work. The error I get from that command line is "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package." Has anyone had any luck running this?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Try this:

MsiExec.exe /I{F692770D-0E27-4D3F-8386-F04C6F434040} /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMReinstall.log" CONFIG_GROUP=" SameManagementGroup " CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION="ForefrontClientSecurity" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="forefrontserver" AM_CONTROL="Full" REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN=1 REINSTALL="ALL"

-OR-

I like to just remove it, and let WSUS reinstall it automatically on the next detection. This way you can't get bitten by a typo.  It pulls all the settings from your policy.

-Eddie
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:59 PM
  • adding to this thread i am having a similar problem.  MOM is on these machines and we are moving to a different collection server. 

from the collection blog post we have modified the mseexec to read:

MsiExec.exe /I {F692770D-0E27-4D3F-8386-F04C6F434040} /norestart /qn /l*v C:\MOMReinstall.log CONFIG_GROUP=ForefrontClientSecurity CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION=ModifyConfigGroup  MANAGEMENT_SERVER=SITDCFTFRONT.ams.usda.gov AM_CONTROL=Full REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN=1 REINSTALL=ALL

the momreintall log shows progress then failure.

here is the bottom portion of the log

\Temp\Microsoft Operations Manager\

Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
    Property(S): RestrictedUserControl = 1
    Property(S): REINSTALL = ALL
    Property(S): CURRENTDIRECTORY = C:\WINDOWS
    Property(S): CLIENTUILEVEL = 3
    Property(S): CLIENTPROCESSID = 7668
    Property(S): MsiSystemRebootPending = 1
    Property(S): PRODUCTLANGUAGE = 1033
    Property(S): VersionDatabase = 300
    Property(S): VersionMsi = 4.05
    Property(S): WindowsBuild = 2600
    Property(S): ServicePackLevel = 3
    Property(S): ServicePackLevelMinor = 0
    Property(S): MsiNTProductType = 1
    Property(S): WindowsFolder = c:\WINDOWS\
    Property(S): WindowsVolume = c:\
    Property(S): System16Folder = C:\WINDOWS\system\
    Property(S): RemoteAdminTS = 1
    Property(S): TempFolder = C:\DOCUME~1\jlstrach\LOCALS~1\Temp\
    Property(S): AppDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\Application Data\
    Property(S): FavoritesFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\Favorites\
    Property(S): NetHoodFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\NetHood\
    Property(S): PersonalFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\My Documents\
    Property(S): PrintHoodFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\PrintHood\
    Property(S): RecentFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\Recent\
    Property(S): SendToFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\SendTo\
    Property(S): TemplateFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates\
    Property(S): CommonAppDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    Property(S): LocalAppDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\Local Settings\Application Data\
    Property(S): MyPicturesFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\jlstrach\My Documents\My Pictures\
    Property(S): AdminToolsFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\
    Property(S): StartupFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
    Property(S): ProgramMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\
    Property(S): StartMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
    Property(S): DesktopFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\
    Property(S): FontsFolder = C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\
    Property(S): GPTSupport = 1
    Property(S): OLEAdvtSupport = 1
    Property(S): ShellAdvtSupport = 1
    Property(S): PhysicalMemory = 2014
    Property(S): VirtualMemory = 2992
    Property(S): LogonUser = jlstrach
    Property(S): UserSID = S-1-5-21-1938452484-628970948-1415713722-1688
    Property(S): UserLanguageID = 1033
    Property(S): ComputerName = DBELTST0401F
    Property(S): SystemLanguageID = 1033
    Property(S): ScreenX = 1152
    Property(S): ScreenY = 864
    Property(S): CaptionHeight = 19
    Property(S): BorderTop = 1
    Property(S): BorderSide = 1
    Property(S): TextHeight = 16
    Property(S): TextInternalLeading = 3
    Property(S): ColorBits = 32
    Property(S): TTCSupport = 1
    Property(S): Time = 12:14:22
    Property(S): Date = 1/27/2010
    Property(S): MsiNetAssemblySupport = 2.0.50727.3053
    Property(S): MsiWin32AssemblySupport = 5.1.2600.5512
    Property(S): RedirectedDllSupport = 2
    Property(S): USERNAME = PVPO_Users
    Property(S): COMPANYNAME = USDA_AMS_S&T_PVPO
    Property(S): DATABASE = c:\WINDOWS\Installer\2931ab0.msi
    Property(S): OriginalDatabase = c:\WINDOWS\Installer\2931ab0.msi
    Property(S): UILevel = 2
    Property(S): Preselected = 1
    Property(S): ACTION = INSTALL
    Property(S): ROOTDRIVE = c:\
    Property(S): CostingComplete = 1
    Property(S): OutOfDiskSpace = 0
    Property(S): OutOfNoRbDiskSpace = 0
    Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceAvailable = 0
    Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRequired = 0
    Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRemaining = 0
    MSI (s) (1C:44) [12:14:22:852]: Note: 1: 1729
    MSI (s) (1C:44) [12:14:22:883]: Product: Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 Agent -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (1C:44) [12:14:22:883]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 Agent. Product Version: 5.0.2911.0. Product Language: 1033. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (1C:44) [12:14:22:883]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
    MSI (s) (1C:44) [12:14:22:883]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
    === Logging stopped: 1/27/2010  12:14:22 ===
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
    MSI (s) (1C:3C) [12:14:22:883]: Restoring environment variables
    MSI (c) (F4:10) [12:14:22:883]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
    MSI (c) (F4:10) [12:14:22:883]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
    === Verbose logging stopped: 1/27/2010  12:14:22 ===

any ideas?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:36 PM