Explorer crashing - Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've seen a few different pages on this issue but I've not had much success at all trying other methods.

For the last 3 days or so my explorer.exe has been crashing very frequently (although it is an almost completely random event), I've tried booting in safe mode/clean boot but neither method has shown change. Also used Shexview and disabled all non-microsoft shell extensions but again, nothing.

I'm back to uni in a few days and this is proving to be desperately annoying when trying to work and having to race against an explorer crash to open a file.

I also lost use of a few of my fn hotkeys and experienced trouble with Google Chrome not opening at all  at a similar time to the explorer issue.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:57 PM

Answers

• Scott

Here are a few things you may not have tried:

1. It can sometimes be cured by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab and put a tick in ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails‘.

2. You have to try, by a process of elimination, to find which program is causing it to crash. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Problems Reports and Solutions and search for the exact date when it started.

3. Look in the Action Center for any issues. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center or right-click the icon in the Notification Area (bottom right of screen). In the main window, click the drop-down arrow to the right of Maintenance where you can select View Reliability History. In View Reliability History, right-click on any Windows Explorer errors and View technical details, which may be of help.

Also, at the bottom, click View All Problem reports and Check for Solutions.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, May 7, 2012 6:02 AM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Based on my research, please try the following:

1. Please check if the issue will occur in Safe Mode.

2. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, please use ShellExView to disable related extensions of Windows Explorer in Normal Mode:

1) Please download ShellExView for x64-bit system.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2) Extract the download file and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3) Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4) Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5) Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

3. If the issue is still occur in Safe Mode and if the issue did not occur previous, please try to perform a system restore and see how it works. However, if you do not have a restore point, I’m afraid that you have to perform an In-place Upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Jeremy_Wu Monday, April 30, 2012 2:41 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 2:41 PM

All replies

• Scott

Here are a few things you may not have tried:

1. It can sometimes be cured by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab and put a tick in ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails‘.

2. You have to try, by a process of elimination, to find which program is causing it to crash. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Problems Reports and Solutions and search for the exact date when it started.

3. Look in the Action Center for any issues. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center or right-click the icon in the Notification Area (bottom right of screen). In the main window, click the drop-down arrow to the right of Maintenance where you can select View Reliability History. In View Reliability History, right-click on any Windows Explorer errors and View technical details, which may be of help.

Also, at the bottom, click View All Problem reports and Check for Solutions.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Based on my research, please try the following:

1. Please check if the issue will occur in Safe Mode.

2. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, please use ShellExView to disable related extensions of Windows Explorer in Normal Mode:

1) Please download ShellExView for x64-bit system.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2) Extract the download file and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3) Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4) Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5) Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

3. If the issue is still occur in Safe Mode and if the issue did not occur previous, please try to perform a system restore and see how it works. However, if you do not have a restore point, I’m afraid that you have to perform an In-place Upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Jeremy_Wu Monday, April 30, 2012 2:41 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 2:41 PM