none
Getting Numerical Password ID from Password ID Bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• I am in a pinch at the moment

Recently I accidently formatted my external hard disk that was previously encrypted by Bitlocker.

I sent the hard disk to my data recovery services and they advise me that they need the recovery key to recover the data.

I consulting my IT support and they say they have some backup of the recovery key but since I had more then 1 encrypted drive, its hard to pinpoint which exact recovery key belongs to the hard disk. However, the IT support mentioned that if I am able to retreive the Numerical Password ID, they can provide the relevant recovery key for me.

I reviewed my event viewer and look through my bitlocker api and managed to get the Password ID.

My question is how do I get my Numerical Password ID from my Password ID? Is there some way to do it? Since my hard disk is formatted, can I still use manage-bde to get some information on the numerical password ID?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Alan

Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:11 PM

All replies

• Normally, if Bitlocker is prompting for a recovery key, it also show the Recovery Key ID assigned to the drive that needs to be recovered.

This is the info that should help you to match the drive with the recovery key.

Ask this info from your Data Recovery Service and send it to your IT Support.

Gerald

Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:44 PM
  • It wouldn't hurt to send them all recovery keys for your machine. I mean, you trust them, don't you?

You cannot retrieve the recovery ID if you have the ID of another protector like the password. They are in no way connected. If however you have the protector ID of the recovery password and call it password ID, then simply give it to your IT. The recovery password is saved to AD together with the password ID of the recovery key.

Friday, July 13, 2018 7:10 AM
  • You can get all your actual keys and change it all

This is some useful info which helped in me case:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/arnaud_jumelet/2010/11/12/how-to-regenerate-the-bitlocker-numerical-recovery-password/

Thursday, December 20, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Hello!

And if I only have the TPM ID, can I retrieve the Numerical Password ID?

• Edited by renancapano Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:07 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:07 PM
  • No. The ID is just an ID, but no content.
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Thank you Ronald,

Just as an example, I have this problem:
    https://www.tecklyfe.com/fix-there-are-no-more-bitlocker-recovery-options-on-your-pc/

To request the recovery password for the AD Administrator, I need Numerical Password ID.
    However using the command "manage-bde -protectors -get c:", in the HD that is in trouble, the result is only the TPM-ID and PCR appears only "0, 2, 4, 11".

I did a test on a good HD and the result are 2 IDs: TPM - ID & Numerical Password - ID.

I would like to know if it is possible to somehow get this ID in yellow (Numerical Password):

• Edited by renancapano Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:49 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:42 PM
  • If there is no ID shown, there is no recovery key. Depending on how you set it up, you could choose to create one or not and unfortunately, there is none.

For further questions, please create your own thread since this is not directly related to the content here.

Friday, March 8, 2019 7:13 AM