none
Setup for first Virtual Machine

Question

• Hi All

I am looking for some advice and tips!

Our current setup is 3 dedicated servers:

Serv1 - PDC, AD, EXCH2010 (win2k8R2)

Serv2 - SDC(however not currently working correctly), FS (win2k8)

Serv3 - SQL (Sage and bespoke SQL applications) (win2k12)

Our PDC had a hardware failure and temporarily went down. Our SDC although set up to replicate and be SDC did not takeover. The netlogon and sysvol folders did not copy across hence the issue.

As we were looking to dip our feet into virtualizing our servers next year anyway, we decided that this was the correct time to start the process. The plan was to use Hyper -V to create a replica of our DC, FS and EXCH server.  

We purchased a 

Dell PowerEdge R640, Xeon-Silver X4114 2.2ghz 10 Core - 32GB RAM - 2
    TB x 2 6G SAS HDD - H730P Controller.

Our setup would then be 

Hypervisor windows 2016

VM1 - svr2k16 - DC, AD, DNS, FS 

VM2 - svr2k16 - exch2k16

dedicated SQL server remaining as is

other 2 dedicated server to be decommissioned

The idea is to initially set up on BIOS RAID 1 then install the svr2k16, create VM1 - setup as SDC and then transfer the roles over once we are certain that this would take DC reigns when we switch off our PDC. If this test passes we would then go about creating VM2 and proceed to migrate from exchange 2010 to 2016. 

My questions are

1) Are my steps correct? I know it is brief but i believe following the migration guides I will be okay.

2) We use arcserve backup installed on SDC atm, I was looking to keep this on the new PDC on VM1 and then backup VM1 and the SQL dedicated server.

Thanks in advance for advice

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1) Are my steps correct? I know it is brief but i believe following the migration guides I will be okay.

It is correct. It is not best practice for installing other roles include file server  and DC in same server.

2) We use arcserve backup installed on SDC atm, I was looking to keep this on the new PDC on VM1 and then backup VM1 and the SQL dedicated server.

We are not familiar with third party backup software,you could consult it with your vendor.

We recommend you back up physical server via Windows backup. Windows Back up could back up your online vm in the host.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:37 AM
  • In addition to Frank's comments, you should retain two DCs (note that PDC is a role on one of the DCs; otherwise, the concept of a Primary and Secondary domain controller disappeared with Active Directory.  DCs are multi-master, i.e. any domain controller can respond to domain service requests and can process any update.)

If you are really concerned about availability, you may want to keep at least two physical servers active to host the VMs.  Otherwise, if everything is on a single server, the loss of that single server would put you completely out of business.

tim

• Marked as answer by DIYAC Friday, November 9, 2018 11:13 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is correct. It is not best practice for installing other roles include file server  and DC in same server.

We are not familiar with third party backup software,you could consult it with your vendor.

We recommend you back up physical server via Windows backup. Windows Back up could back up your online vm in the host.

Best Regards,
    Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:37 AM
  • In addition to Frank's comments, you should retain two DCs (note that PDC is a role on one of the DCs; otherwise, the concept of a Primary and Secondary domain controller disappeared with Active Directory.  DCs are multi-master, i.e. any domain controller can respond to domain service requests and can process any update.)

If you are really concerned about availability, you may want to keep at least two physical servers active to host the VMs.  Otherwise, if everything is on a single server, the loss of that single server would put you completely out of business.

tim

• Marked as answer by DIYAC Friday, November 9, 2018 11:13 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:56 PM

• Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Friday, November 9, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Hi Guys Thank you for the advice. Very helpful.
    Friday, November 9, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updating.I'm glad to hear the message is useful.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, November 12, 2018 2:24 AM