none
DHCP DNS Issues RRS feed

• Question

• There are 2 issues we are facing with dhcp dns configuration.  The lease term is 1 day.  DNS scavenging is configured to take place every week.

1.  I made a dhcp reservation for a printer or a computer.   The dns a record disappears after a day.  What needs to be done for the dns a records reflect dhcp assignments?

2.  Every day, I have couple of ip collisions.  What can be done to prevent this?

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 21, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi rgelfand,

>1. I made a dhcp reservation for a printer or a computer.   The dns a record disappears after a day.  What needs to be done for the dns a records reflect dhcp assignments?

Check the configurations in reservations' properties> dns: If you have checked "Discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted", and you configured use DHCP server to register DNS records for these clients, then the records will be deleted in DNS zone when the lease is expired.

Since you may not want the reservations IP addresses for printers or computers to be deleted in DNS zone, we may manually add these records in DNS zone, to make these records to be static records, then these records will not be deleted, even DNS scavenging will not delete static records.

>2.  Every day, I have couple of ip collisions.  What can be done to prevent this?

For DHCP clients, before DHCP server lease IP address to clients, it will check if there are IP conflict. In DHCP scope, we need to exclusions reservation IP addresses and static IP addresses in the network.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:02 AM