Windows Explorer switches syntax question. "My" default view RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get windows explorer to open in a "[DoublePaned][ folder]" view with the highlight (cursor) focused on the C:\ drive in the left pane by default?
    I used to use a shortcut on my desktop with older versions of windows and this is the best i could come up with but not what i want...

(in the target box in properties of my Winexplorer shortcut)

%windir%\explorer.exe /n, /e, /select, c:

• Edited by RickMamo Friday, July 1, 2011 6:31 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi RickMamo,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

In Windows 7, if you create a Windows Explorer shortcut on desktop, when you open it, by default, it will navigate to your "Libraries". If you want to change it to the C drive. Right-click on the Windows Explorer shortcut, choose Properties. In the Target column, change it to "C:\" (without quotation). Then Click Apply - OK.

The next time you open it from desktop, it will open the C drive instead of the Libraries.

If you do not want the folder details be showed. After open the Windows Explorer, press Alt key, click View, choose Tiles.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:37 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:56 AM

All replies

• With the contents and folders of the root of C:\ displayed in the right page in list view format (small icons no descriptions)

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hi RickMamo,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

In Windows 7, if you create a Windows Explorer shortcut on desktop, when you open it, by default, it will navigate to your "Libraries". If you want to change it to the C drive. Right-click on the Windows Explorer shortcut, choose Properties. In the Target column, change it to "C:\" (without quotation). Then Click Apply - OK.

The next time you open it from desktop, it will open the C drive instead of the Libraries.

If you do not want the folder details be showed. After open the Windows Explorer, press Alt key, click View, choose Tiles.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:37 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:56 AM
  • How's going on?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:37 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

We'd love to hear your feedback. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks, that's a lot easier than the old method
    Friday, January 6, 2012 10:17 PM