SftSequencer.exe application fault RRS feed

• Question

• I have experienced four or five App-V 4.5 SP1 Sequencer crashes in two different infrastructures (diff network, vm, etc).
    They have all occurred post-monitoring phase, pre-package save when I have been going through the file, registry, OSD tabs but not making any changes.

The impact is I have to reperform the sequencing while keeping my fingers crossed.  Each time I have been able to resequence and save the packge.  I have experience sequencing since 4.2 and never seen the sequencer act this unstable.

It would be great to know if others have experienced this and if there is a known solution at this time.
    Here are additional details to scope/correlate the issue:

Windows 7 sequencer running on VMware VI 3.5 (using typical best practices: no AV, no domain, no WU, C++ prereq installed)

Application: sftsequencer.exe
    Version: 4.5.2.17140
    Fault Module: StackHash_0a9e
    Exception Code: C0000005, 2aac00fa
    OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4

Thanks very much for any pointers!

Jason

Monday, March 1, 2010 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would try a different type of client, such as a physical, virtual-pc or something else?

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, March 5, 2010 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:49 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would try a different type of client, such as a physical, virtual-pc or something else?

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, March 5, 2010 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:49 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the ideas Znack.
    These are valid options to help scope the issue, but I am looking for a solution and not a workaround.
    In my own experience, issues related to the physical or vitual platform typically manifest as kernel errors and not application errors.

If we assumed that I also experienced the same issue on a physical machine, Virtual Server or Hyper-V, what type of guidance would be suggested to troubleshoot, and ultimately prevent, sequencer crashes?

Based on the lack of responses, it seems as though I am the only person who has experienced a sftsequencer.exe crash...?

Thanks in advance :)

Friday, March 5, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Hello,

If a problem with the sequencer crashing has occured it has most likely been a poorely installed OS or an unstable HW platform.

Now, if that wasn't the cause - its usually due to some software installing components not beeing possible to sequence, most likely seen around is licensing issues.

Usually the sequencer only reacts to poorly designed stuff around it - as it deeply interacts with the software you are trying to sequence and the OS it works with.

/Znack
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:43 PM