Windows 10 doesn't recognize USB without volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a compatibility problem with my sw that runs correctly on Windows XP and Windows 7 but on Windows 10 it doesn't work.

My sw write on a generic USB KEY some data (300 byte) using a C program starting from byte 0 of a generic USB KEY. I use SetFilePointer(hRawDisk, 0, NULL, FILE_BEGIN) to set position 0 and the SW overwrite correctly MBR. When i insert created USB KEY in WinXP or Win 7 PC, the Operating System assign correclty a letter, even if it hasn't a standard file system (my sw start to write byte from 0 position overwritting MBR).

When i insert the same USB KEY in Win10 (both 32 or 64 bit, both Enterprise or Professional) the Operating System doens't assign the letter. If i open Disk Managment i see in the list the USB KEY but the Operating System shows "not inizialized" and so it doesn't assign the letter to my USB.

I have tried DiskPart (but i haven't the volume on USB key), i have used tools as Change View Letter but i haven't solved the problem. Win10 doesnt' assign a letter to a USB KEY without a MBR or GDP, while this limitation isn't present on WinXP and Win7.

Have you same advices to force Win10 to assign the lettere to a not formatted USB KEY (without MBR/GDP) or if Win10 disables this features for security issues?

Thanks

Carmine

Monday, May 6, 2019 9:43 AM

Answers

• Thanks Hurry for your help.

I have seen your guide (RAW to NTFS without formatting) but on Windows 10, when i go in Disk Managment and try to "Find your RAW drive/USB and right-click on it, mark the RAW device as "Active"." i don't have this option. I have tried also Method 2 and 3 but the steps can't be applied them:

Method 1 --> I don't have Active option on RAW disk

Method 2 --> I haven't a letter assigned so i can't do command H: /FS :NTFS

Method 3 --> I haven't a letter assigned so i can't do the operations

Carmine

Monday, May 13, 2019 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on your description, please try the following methods to troubleshoot:

1. Try to assign a drive letter through the Disk Management console manually and check.

2. Try to upgrade your win10 to the latest version and check.

3. Try to use PowerShell to repair USB driver in the article.

Meanwhile, please refer to the  following link which may help:

https://superuser.com/questions/755415/no-drive-letter-assigned-to-usb-drive-on-windows-8-1

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:40 AM
  • Hi Hurry.

Thanks for your answers.

Here my results.

1. Try to assign a drive letter through the Disk Management console manually and check. [DONE, Disk Management see USB KEY as not inizialized (RAW) but it doesn't allow to assign a Letter]

2. Try to upgrade your win10 to the latest version and check.[DONE, but the problem persists]

3. Try to use PowerShell to repair USB driver in the article. [I don't want to format my USB KEY because on it there are data, same bytes written from byte 0 of the drive, that are used by my application]

4. https://superuser.com/questions/755415/no-drive-letter-assigned-to-usb-drive-on-windows-8-1 [DONE, but the problem persists].

I add that the same USB KEY on same PC, Win10 correctly assign the letter. On other no. I have tried 32 bit, 64 bit, Enterprise and Professional but without reproducible results.

The problem is that on USB RAW KEY, Win10 doesn't assign a letter.

Thanks

Carmine

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:47 AM
  • You could try initialising and formating a drive first so that Windows assigns a letter. Then write your data from byte 0 and see if the drive is still recognised.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm afraid that you have to format your USB KEY. After it, Win10 will assign a letter.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Thanks.

But i don't want format USB because it is a RAW disk with data on it. I would just force Win10 to assign a letter as done with previuos Windows versions (i don't know what is changed in Windows).

Win7 and some PC with Win10 assign the letter correctly to my raw disk (without formatting).

Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:28 AM
  • [DONE, but the problem persists]
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Try to convert RAW to NTFS without formatting in the following link:

https://www.easeus.com/format-recovery/convert-raw-to-ntfs-without-formatting.html

After it, then assign a letter and check if the problem is solved.

Best regards,

Hurry

• Edited by hurry yang Friday, May 10, 2019 7:51 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Sunday, May 12, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Thanks Hurry for your help.

I have seen your guide (RAW to NTFS without formatting) but on Windows 10, when i go in Disk Managment and try to "Find your RAW drive/USB and right-click on it, mark the RAW device as "Active"." i don't have this option. I have tried also Method 2 and 3 but the steps can't be applied them:

Method 1 --> I don't have Active option on RAW disk

Method 2 --> I haven't a letter assigned so i can't do command H: /FS :NTFS

Method 3 --> I haven't a letter assigned so i can't do the operations

Carmine

Monday, May 13, 2019 7:57 AM