Ops Manager 2007 R2 Management Pack Guide now available RRS feed

All replies

• We've addressed over 40 issues in the OpsMgr MP and it's closely related libraries in the R2 release.  This guide provides a detailed log of those changes, instructions on additional steps that you can take to customize the OpsMgr MP or enable optional features, and a full rundown of the key monitoring scenarios covered by this MP.  Given that the OpsMgr MP is the most deployed management pack (it's installed by default in all management groups) this document is definitely worth reading.

I hope this helps!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:22 PM
  • We've addressed over 40 issues in the OpsMgr MP and it's closely related libraries in the R2 release.  This guide provides a detailed log of those changes, instructions on additional steps that you can take to customize the OpsMgr MP or enable optional features, and a full rundown of the key monitoring scenarios covered by this MP.  Given that the OpsMgr MP is the most deployed management pack (it's installed by default in all management groups) this document is definitely worth reading.

I hope this helps!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

It appears to me that some of the sections in the revised document don’t reflect what I see in the R2 Ops Console. For example, see page 12 “Enable Recovery for the Health Service Heartbeat Failure Monitor”. Some of the object names don't match those in the document (ex: Health Service Watcher (Agent)) and "Health Service Heartbeat Failure"). The first is now shown as Agent\Entity Health and I can't find any reference to the second.

Am I looking in the wrong place, perhaps?

Stuart {MVP}
    • Edited by StuartR Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:33 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:29 PM
  • The details in the guide (for that section at least ;D) are indeed accurate, although the steps could probably be preceeded by the following information to make getting there more easy:

1) Open the operations console
    2) switch to the Authoring section of the console
    3) navigate to "Management Pack Objects -> Monitors"
    4) enable the find box, enter "Health Service Heartbeat Failure" in the "Look For:" dialogue and click "Find Now"
    5) At this point the list of targets will be limited to just the variations of "Health Service Watcher".

From that point you can following the steps described in the guide in a much more straight forward fashion.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:01 PM
  • The details in the guide (for that section at least ;D) are indeed accurate, although the steps could probably be preceeded by the following information to make getting there more easy:

1) Open the operations console
    2) switch to the Authoring section of the console
    3) navigate to "Management Pack Objects -> Monitors"
    4) enable the find box, enter "Health Service Heartbeat Failure" in the "Look For:" dialogue and click "Find Now"
    5) At this point the list of targets will be limited to just the variations of "Health Service Watcher".

From that point you can following the steps described in the guide in a much more straight forward fashion.

I did exactly that and the search results are empty. What you have to do is to change the Scope from the default of "Common targets" to "All targets" and then search for "Health Service Watcher". Ugh.
    Stuart {MVP}
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Whole bunch of corrections needed in this doc, but its full of great information. Here goes:

- The section 'To add a Run As account to the Run As profile for the Automatic Agent Management Account' needs some work:

In point 2, The Run As Configuration / Profiles directory is not under the Security group, it's seperated out to its own.
    In point 5, Under 'Matching Computers'...  doesn't exist.

- In section 'Add a Run As Account to the Run As Profile for the Validate Alert Subscription Account' it again makes reference to the 'Matching Computers' bit which no longer exists.

Question: Under the Matching Computers part, where it says for instance 'Click your RMS', should that be we target 'Class' 'Root Management Server', or we target 'Object' '<server name>' of class 'Windows Computer'?

- In section 'Enable the Operational Database Watchers Group to Management Group Availability Health Rollup' there should probably be a step 7 added that reads:

'7.  In the Select destination management pack section, select the management pack that you created for storing customizations for this Operations Manager Management Pack, and then click OK'

- In section 'Set the Configuration Service to Restart Automatically' step 3 should read 'Management Configuration Service Availability' rather then just 'Configuration Service Availability'

Likewise step 4 & 5, 'Configuration Service - Windows Service State' should read 'Management Configuration Service - Windows Service State' and 'Start Config Service' should read 'Start Management Configuration Service'

Step 5 should read 'For all objects of class: Root Management Server' rather then 'For all objects of type: Root Management Server' ( I guess?)

Also should add in a step 8 that reads: '8.  In the Select destination management pack section, select the management pack that you created for storing customizations for this Operations Manager Management Pack, and then click OK'

Question: The 'Check for Updated Management Packs' rule. How does this present itself?  It pops up an alert in the Alert View if a newer management pack exists?

Hope that helps!

Friday, June 5, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Whole bunch of corrections needed in this doc, but its full of great information. Here goes:

- The section 'To add a Run As account to the Run As profile for the Automatic Agent Management Account' needs some work:

In point 2, The Run As Configuration / Profiles directory is not under the Security group, it's seperated out to its own.
    In point 5, Under 'Matching Computers'...  doesn't exist.

- In section 'Add a Run As Account to the Run As Profile for the Validate Alert Subscription Account' it again makes reference to the 'Matching Computers' bit which no longer exists.

Question: Under the Matching Computers part, where it says for instance 'Click your RMS', should that be we target 'Class' 'Root Management Server', or we target 'Object' '<server name>' of class 'Windows Computer'?

- In section 'Enable the Operational Database Watchers Group to Management Group Availability Health Rollup' there should probably be a step 7 added that reads:

'7.  In the Select destination management pack section, select the management pack that you created for storing customizations for this Operations Manager Management Pack, and then click OK'

- In section 'Set the Configuration Service to Restart Automatically' step 3 should read 'Management Configuration Service Availability' rather then just 'Configuration Service Availability'

Likewise step 4 & 5, 'Configuration Service - Windows Service State' should read 'Management Configuration Service - Windows Service State' and 'Start Config Service' should read 'Start Management Configuration Service'

Step 5 should read 'For all objects of class: Root Management Server' rather then 'For all objects of type: Root Management Server' ( I guess?)

Also should add in a step 8 that reads: '8.  In the Select destination management pack section, select the management pack that you created for storing customizations for this Operations Manager Management Pack, and then click OK'

Question: The 'Check for Updated Management Packs' rule. How does this present itself?  It pops up an alert in the Alert View if a newer management pack exists?

Hope that helps!

My experience exactly. As I pointed out, this document needs a lot of editing to bring it up to date with what we see in the R2 Ops Console. I'm just configuring that MP myself now and running into the same issues and have some of the same questions you do.
    Stuart {MVP}
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Please, keep posting whatever you find. I'm taking notes.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Further to my question about the MPUpdater, I think there should be a mention in this document about the Run As account permissions required by the MPUpdater Action Account?  Nothing mentioned in the security guide either, bit lost as to what we need to do with it.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:40 PM