Access Denied adding local port printer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have: Windows 7 64-Bit Laptop - this has the printer attached

Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit - I want to add the printer locally here.

I've installed the printer on the laptop, disabled password sharing etc and enabled permissions to the printer. I can connect to it from the Windows 2008 R2 server via sharing; add it and print to it fine, but I want to add it is a local port: \\IP\PrinterName (Via shares doesn't allow you to change name etc).

Laptop has been assigned a static IP outside DHCP range for this. It is a USB Brother MFC printer.

Now the problem: I can print to it fine if I access the share, but when I add it as a local port, I get "Access is Denied". If I put in a random name - it can't find it (obviously) so it is trying to add the printer locally but, doesn't allow it.

I've tried enabling the guest account, changing security settings (Everyone has access) etc. Since I can access it as a share; I don't know why it won't let me add it as a local port.

I believer it to be a security setting some where, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advanced!

Monday, June 7, 2010 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

To troubleshoot this issue, we need to check the following points:

1. Can we add the printer hosting on the Win7 laptop locally on other machines?

2. Please refer to the following article to check if file and printer sharing is enabled on the Win7 laptop

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Enable-file-and-printer-sharing

3. Please temporarily disable Windows Firewall on Win7 laptop and then check if this issue will occur.

4. Please log on to the Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit with the Domain Admin account and check if this issue will occur.

Does it work?

Step 1: Download Process Monitor
    ======================
    1. Please download the Process Monitor at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
    2. Extract the zip file to Desktop.

Step 2: Collect the Information
    =====================
    1. Open Procmon.exe (Process Monitor).
    2. Reproduce this issue.
    3. After that, please click Capture in the tool bar (or directly press Ctrl+E) in Process Monitor.
    4. Click Save, in the prompt window, selects “All Events”.
    5. Click Browser Button (The button is right to “Path”), in the prompt window, click Desktop, type “test” (without the quotation marks) in the File Name box and press Enter.
    6. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

We need to run Process Monitor on both sides at the same time. After that, please send these two files to me.

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8bacd7dd-ca27-4037-bbf5-6e4926723d8f)
    Password: 3-tw$[@XbwR5pCNK

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Hope this helps.

On July 1<sup>st</sup> we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1<sup>st</sup>, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11<sup>th</sup>, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Miles

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

To troubleshoot this issue, we need to check the following points:

1. Can we add the printer hosting on the Win7 laptop locally on other machines?

2. Please refer to the following article to check if file and printer sharing is enabled on the Win7 laptop

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Enable-file-and-printer-sharing

3. Please temporarily disable Windows Firewall on Win7 laptop and then check if this issue will occur.

4. Please log on to the Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit with the Domain Admin account and check if this issue will occur.

Does it work?

Step 1: Download Process Monitor
    ======================
    1. Please download the Process Monitor at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
    2. Extract the zip file to Desktop.

Step 2: Collect the Information
    =====================
    1. Open Procmon.exe (Process Monitor).
    2. Reproduce this issue.
    3. After that, please click Capture in the tool bar (or directly press Ctrl+E) in Process Monitor.
    4. Click Save, in the prompt window, selects “All Events”.
    5. Click Browser Button (The button is right to “Path”), in the prompt window, click Desktop, type “test” (without the quotation marks) in the File Name box and press Enter.
    6. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

We need to run Process Monitor on both sides at the same time. After that, please send these two files to me.

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8bacd7dd-ca27-4037-bbf5-6e4926723d8f)
    Password: 3-tw$[@XbwR5pCNK

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Hope this helps.

On July 1<sup>st</sup> we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1<sup>st</sup>, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11<sup>th</sup>, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Miles

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Katatonic, try this, open the printer properties, then click on the 'Sharing' tab, then click on the 'Change Sharing Options' button.  Now try to add the port, does it work?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:31 PM