Do I really need the microsoft teredo tunneling adapter RRS feed

• Question

• do I really need the microsoft teredo tunneling adapter.  What does it do?  I use the ralink RT61 turbo wireless for my network connections
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:55 PM

Answers

• Vergeront

Teredo tunneling translates one IP version into another (IPv4/IPv6).  I cant tell you if you need it without more information.  You can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:57 PM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:23 PM

All replies

• Vergeront

Teredo tunneling translates one IP version into another (IPv4/IPv6).  I cant tell you if you need it without more information.  You can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:57 PM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:23 PM
  • The Wikipedia article says Teredo is a temporary measure and should be discontinued as soon as a more permanent fix is available.  The Wikipedia article seems to have been written around 2007.  So has it been replaced in Win 7?  I am not deliberately tunneling IPv6 through IPv4.  I have not noticed any ill effects from removing Teredo from the permission list for the Firewall.  I am guessing nothing else on the computer needs it.
    • Edited by chas2003 Friday, October 17, 2014 3:21 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Chas

Teredo may be a temporary fix but many printers are using the protocol so as of now it is still necessary though not critical

Friday, October 17, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Yes!! That is the only thing I notice on my computer that doesn't work.  I have deleted the Teredo and the printer still does not work.  I still get the Code 10 no matter what I do.  Please help me!

James

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:38 PM
  • I didn't restate my problem in my previous post:  My Brother Printer won't print and I have a big print job I need to get done ASAP.  I have suspected that The Teredo Code 10 issue is the cause.

James

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:40 PM
  • This is a known problem if Zone alarm is installed.  If you have it installed remove it at least to check
    To turn off Teredo tunneling interface 6to4 open an elevated command prompt and type
    netsh interface terredo set state disabled.
    To Re-install it
    1. Click on Start.
    2. Type Device Manager in search box and open it.
    3. Click the Action tab at the top and click add legacy hardware
      then click next and next again it will then scan and find nothing click next on the screen after that.
      Wait a minute and you will see a list of hardware appear, scroll down and choose network adapters then click next, then from the left column choose Microsoft then in the right hand column scroll down and choose Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, then click next and this will install it.
      To check just make sure it is set to show hidden devices, right click on device manager on the right and click view then show hidden devices.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:11 PM