Jump List icons left shift and IE tab bar glitech RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using windows 7 rc english
    usually after using for a few hours, there are some graphic glitch found
    1) Icons in jump list left shifted

2) A black line under tab in IE

PC detail:
    Win7 RC English(Actually above problem reproduce in "RTM"...:P)
    AMD 4200+ x2
    MSI neo-4
    ATI 4350 with 9.6/9.7 driver
    1.5GB DDR
    • Edited by _wai_ Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:08 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on test on our test machines, we can't reproduce the issue like yours on both RC and RTM computers. In my opinion, the issue you occurred with is mainly due to graphic driver. The graphic driver may collect the wrong value while displaying graphics. I would like to suggest you uninstalling the ATI display driver and reinstalling the latest one.

ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 Suite for Windows 7 (32-bit)

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-32bit

Note: we provide this link for downloading driver, there might be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't control and guarantee the security in this website.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by _wai_ Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:02 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Do anyone using ATI display have the same glitch?
    As I have ATI x700 and x4350 only on hand, and tried different driver version already.
    1) Bundled driver (x700 / 4350)
    2) 9.6, 9.7 and 9.8 (4350)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

I am wondering where you download Windows 7 RC and RTM. Could you please give us the full version of your Operating System?

Meanwhile, I noticed that this issue occurred after starting Windows for a few hours. Does this issue occur right after logging in Windows? If the issue doesn't occur at the beginning, it seems that the high temperature of the graphic card functions abnormally. If it is the case, the fan on the graphic card may be out of date. Please switch to a new one and see if the issue occurs. Thanks.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the jumplist icons left shift problem occurred after few hours usage. For IE glitch, it occures any time when I use it...

Normally the jumplist problem can be resolved by
    1) Kill explorer and start explorer again
    2) log out and log in back

Ati 4350 is pretty low end model, the power consumption is very low :)
    The card is fanless and only around 45C for 2D environment (Room temperature @ 30C)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It seems that IE glitch issue is individually from the jumplist issue. Let's troubleshoot issues one by one.

To troubleshoot the jumplist icon issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.    Clear the jump list data from the Data storage location.

Method 1. Uncheck the following item in Recent Activity Shell settings.

1)    Right click the Start button and click Properties.

2)    Clear the box "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar".

3)    Click Apply.

Method 2. Manually delete the files in the following folders:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Data is stored in files in a binary (non-editable) format. Deleting the files in these folders removes the jump list data, and thereby, the Jump List, until the data is recreated.

2.    Run sfc.exe utility to scan the system files and automatically fix corrupted ones.

If the issue persists, please continue the step.

3.    Switch to another user account and see if the issue occurs. If it doesn't occur, you need to fix a corrupted user profile. For more information, please refer to the following website.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile  

To fix IE glitch issue, let's perform the following steps.

1.    Run Internet Explorer in no adds-on mode and see if the issue occurs, there may be some incompatible adds-on causing the problem.

2.    Turn off Internet Explorer in Windows Feature and turn back on to see if the issue occurs.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by _wai_ Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It seems that IE glitch issue is individually from the jumplist issue. Let's troubleshoot issues one by one.

To troubleshoot the jumplist icon issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.    Clear the jump list data from the Data storage location.

Method 1. Uncheck the following item in Recent Activity Shell settings.

1)    Right click the Start button and click Properties.

2)    Clear the box "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar".

3)    Click Apply.

Method 2. Manually delete the files in the following folders:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Data is stored in files in a binary (non-editable) format. Deleting the files in these folders removes the jump list data, and thereby, the Jump List, until the data is recreated.

2.    Run sfc.exe utility to scan the system files and automatically fix corrupted ones.

If the issue persists, please continue the step.

3.    Switch to another user account and see if the issue occurs. If it doesn't occur, you need to fix a corrupted user profile. For more information, please refer to the following website.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile  

To fix IE glitch issue, let's perform the following steps.

1.    Run Internet Explorer in no adds-on mode and see if the issue occurs, there may be some incompatible adds-on causing the problem.

2.    Turn off Internet Explorer in Windows Feature and turn back on to see if the issue occurs.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

I tried the suggestion but still find the problems exist. I tried format the PC and install again, problems exist too.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

It's so wired, but based on my experience, once one friend of mine come across a glitch issue caused by dirty RAM. I'm not quite sure but still kindly recommend you to open your computer and clean RAM and display card to see if it works.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao

Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:14 AM
  • IMO, is it possible be the implmenetation glitch?
    1) Found in mutliple hardware combination/PC
    2) Tried with different version of drivers
    3) Although actual reproduce steps cannot be described easily, the glitch found once the PC used for few hours, even on freshly installed Windows 7
    4) If it is hardware failure, it looks only afftecting specifed OS(i.e. Win7)? My PC works well(in terms of graphics) in XP/Vista, and Linux distributions(Ubuntu/Fedora/CentOS).

Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

I noticed that the glitch appearred after using PC for few hours. I suspect that it is the temporature of graphic card causing this kind of behavior. Please make sure that the fan of graphic card works fine and the hot can be cooling. Maybe this issue can be fixed after the release of Windows 7 and the graphic card manuafacturer releases Windows 7 compatible driver. If the issue is resolved, it is appreciated if you respond back and share with us. Thanks.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Sorry for replying to a post that's a little old. I am experiencing the same issue, and have a workaround for it (that works each time for me).

I suspect that there may be a problem with the Desktop Window Manager, please restart this service and see if the problem goes away.

For those who don't know how to restart a service through Windows, do the following:
    Start the Command Prompt as Administrator and type these commands:

net stop UxSms
    net start UxSms

These comands will stop then restart the DWM Session Manager.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Hi,
    restarting service works, but the interface remains glitch after long run..
    anyway thank you for providing suggestion :)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:21 AM