none
Compatiblity View on IE11 mode versus Compatability View on IE8 / Enterprise mode - whats the difference? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are testing web pages on IE11

We need to understand if there is a difference between two test scenarios:

1. In IE11 / Edge mode - enabling Compatability View

2. In Enterprise mode - enabling Compatability View

Is there any benefit to doing both test steps, or will test scenario 1 be enough to check a website in Compatibility View?

thank you

• Edited by IUSR345369 Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:28 AM

All replies

• Is there any benefit to doing both test steps, or will test scenario 1 be enough to check a website in Compatibility View?

Depends on how you are defining "Compatibility view".  In IE11 adding a host name with Alt-x b switches to IE7 Quirks mode emulation.  Otherwise, if the Host name is in IECompatData.xml and Microsoft Compatibility is checked in Compatibility view dialog whatever emulation that was specified there would be used.  I think Enterprise mode is essentially a method of allowing an administrator to apply an override more conveniently, e.g. more like a variation of the Microsoft Compatibility, but with the difference that it starts by default at IE8 emulation.  So, are you testing only if your site works with IE7 Quirks mode?  If so, test the Alt-x b override and make sure that there is no Microsoft override.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

thanks for the reply, I have re-read it a few times - 

Yes, I mean by Compatibility View we are adding by group policy (Computer Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Compatibility View) or with Alt-x b .

Not sure what you mean by "make sure there is no Microsoft override". 

To repeat my question - if we enable compatibility view in IE11, will it be the same test as enabling CV while Enterprise mode is already enabled? In other words is the first test enough or do we need to test both scenarios?

Thanks

• Edited by IUSR345369 Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:55 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:40 AM
  • To repeat my question - if we enable compatibility view in IE11, will it be the same test as enabling CV while Enterprise mode is already enabled? In other words is the first test enough or do we need to test both scenarios?

I think you need to test both scenarios, based on the suggestions by Chris Jackson:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/2014/08/11/ie11-enterprise-mode-and-compatibility-view-are-additive-not-exclusive.aspx

• Just trying running it on IE11 to see if it works – there’s a reasonable chance that it will
    • If it doesn’t work on IE11 natively, try enabling Enterprise Mode
    • If it doesn’t work in Enterprise Mode, try modifying the Compatibility View setting (to the opposite of what it currently is)

I am not entirely clear on the priority-order, in the event EMIE *and* CV are both enabled for a given website.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff955410(v=vs.85).aspx

This MSDN reference also explains when the MSFT CV list is examined for a directive ("Microsoft override")

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Thanks Don.

I had seen Chris Jacksons blog which is why I came here to bottom out the steps.

So reading between the lines it is looking like the test scenarios could end up being something like:

1. Test In IE11 / Edge mode

2. If doesnt work. Test in Enterprise Mode

3. If doesnt work. Test in Compatibility View

4. If doesnt work. Test in Enterprise Mode with Compatibility View enabled

From an administration perspective, it is easier for us to have a site in either CM or EM (2 or 3) rather than having to add to both (4).. as it requires two updates, one to group policy and one to Enterprise Manager site list.. messy to administer...

Thanks

Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:42 AM