System Idle Process and Unresponsive Programs RRS feed

• Question

• I've Just gotten this computer as a girft for the holidays, and have only installed Bitdefender, and my printer software onto the computer. Browsing the internet has led to numerous occasions of it becoming non responsive of extremely slow, so I decided to track the CPU usage. This shows that Bitdefender hardly uses any CPU, only an average of 6, my internet browser, be it Internet Explorer, or Chrome, only spiked up to 18. While these processes were being used, the system idle process is running and using anywhere from 40% to 90% percent of the CPU, I know this is supposed to be an idle process, but it's seems to be constantly going, even when I'm on the computer doing things such as watching a Youtube video, or on Facebook talking to friends. What would be causing the spikes of massive CPU usage and making my computer slow?
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 9:08 PM

Answers

• Is it IE9 you're running?  Probably so on a new machine but I want to be sure.

If so, and your entire UI is becoming balky, you may be having problems with the GPU, as Internet Explorer now renders some things in the display adapter.

The best advice I can offer is to visit the web site of the maker of your video card (aka grahics board or display adapter) and download/install their latest release.  Even though your computer may be new there are no doubt even newer driver releases than the one it was shipped with.

If it's a laptop you may have to visit the web site of the maker of the machine, rather than nVidia.com or ATI.com.

If a display driver update doesn't solve the issue for you, try looking in the Advanced settings section of Internet Options and selecting the Use Software Rendering instead of GPU Rendering setting.

Merry Christmas!

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:53 AM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:43 PM