none
Need authorized response from Microsoft- using rdp wrapper with license? Is it legal?

Question

• If for example I and my father, we both buy license, original windows 10, so I have one original product with serial and my father has another, different serial bought by the same amount of money in the same shop but only I install it on my PC and he lock his copy and his serial in safe place.

Now I install my copy on my PC and I install RDP WRAPPER

https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/releases

so my father can connect from his linux without logging me off.

He uses it as if he use his bought copy which he will never activate because he is using my pc with rdp simultaneously with me.

So microsoft does not have any loses, does not lose any money because we both bought original license.

Is it legal to use RDP WRAPPER in such case?

Could someone explain it?

This is not the case as described here:

https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/issues/26

because we both bought license.

And windows allows for user profiles.

And also this

https://ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-rdpwrapper-win10-home

is interesting

"

RDP Wrapper works as a layer between Service Control Manager and Terminal Services, so the original termsrv.dll file remains untouched

Section 2.c: “[…] this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:” and Section 2.c(ⅳ): “work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;”

Section 2.d(ⅴ): “Remote access. No more than once every 90 days, you may designate a single user who physically uses the licensed device as the licensed user. The licensed user may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies.”

You may argue that RDPwrap just enables you to take advantage of the functionality that you’re licensed to utilize by section 2.d(ⅴ), but section 2.c+2.c(ⅳ) contradicts 2.d(ⅴ) with no clear reading as to which one takes prescience. Section 2.d(ⅴ) doesn’t expressly grant an exception from 2.c+2.c(ⅳ), but 2.d(ⅴ) is more specific to the situation at hand.

I’d like to pause here to say the current Windows license text makes it clear that you’re not allowed to work around any problems and limitations imposed by Windows. Which means that you’re more than likely already violating the Windows license simply by installing any number of utility programs that extends or tweaks Windows functionality. I.e., using the file search utility FileLocator to work around the restrictions Windows puts in place to limit your ability to find files on the system is strictly speaking a violation of the Windows license as written. Most of the third-party and even other Microsoft software you install will put you in violation of the Windows license."

So please MICROSOFT tell me is using RDP WRAPPER when ALL PERSONS using windows through such RDP simultaneously BOUGHT ORIGINAL LIENSE IN IT SHOP legal or not?

IS it legal or not?

And why?

• Edited by kkkk467htr Friday, February 17, 2017 5:27 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:25 PM

All replies

• Ok so I am not MSFT but to me “work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;” completely means RDP wrapper breaks the license agreement. MSFT imho put the one remote user session in Windows clients (it can do multiple sessions) so that is a limitation they have set.

FileLocator does not alter Windows system files. Also again imho MSFT did not put limitations in place to limit the search functionality, it just does not work that well (I use FileLocator too).

So the difference would be altering \ replacing Windows system files to get around limits imposed.

Just my two cents worth.

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:05 PM
  • RDP Wrapper works as a layer between Service Control Manager and Terminal Services, so the original termsrv.dll file remains untouched
    Friday, February 17, 2017 7:30 PM
  • Ok thanks for that. So did find this description "Instead of modifying termsrv.dll file you can use RDP Wrapper which acts as a middleman between Terminal Services and Service Control Manager. This way you don't need to touch termsrv.dll file."

RDP Wrapper bypasses a restriction placed in the OS by MSFT (by using middleman). In bypassing that restriction would still be against that section “work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;”

Friday, February 17, 2017 8:36 PM
  • Interesting looking at RDP Wrapper a little further it replaces the Terminal Services service with its DLL, so it alters a Windows system service to achieve its work-around.

Top image from a PC with RDP Wrapper, bottom image from a PC without

Friday, February 17, 2017 8:54 PM
  • so i can not install pdf creator and change it to default printer?

I can not write install apple itunes to overcome limitations to support idevices?

I can not install eset antivirus to overcome default windows defender?

I can not install better wifi drivers than those which are already after installation?

Remember that this is not for cracking.

We both bought original product, both have valid license.

Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:13 AM
  • Interesting looking at RDP Wrapper a little further it replaces the Terminal Services service with its DLL, so it alters a Windows system service to achieve its work-around.

so if it replaces it is just as standalone software VNC type cause it use different than internal file.

So i can not use vnc on my pc?

And does eula applies to vnc?

NO. At least not in such way. 

So eula does not even apply to this DIFFERENT RemoteAccess.

• Edited by kkkk467htr Saturday, February 18, 2017 1:47 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hi kkkk467htr,

"Other users, at different times, may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, but only on devices separately licensed to run the same or higher edition of this software."
    According to this information, I am afraid it is illegal to use the machine at a time with multi users. As far as I know, this feature is only available for a Server version.

Microsoft License Terms
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:47 AM