CD-ROM has power, but will not function otherwise.Driver shows STATE is STOPPED, STARTED is NO. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a donated Dell PC tower, with absolutely zero install CD's/documentation hardcopy. One problem is the CD drive. There is power; open and closes, but the system does not "know" it is there.
    The information when a display is executed from Help and Support, TOOLS, Advanced System Information, ... shows the CD-ROM driver is in a STOPPED STATE, and STARTED is NO. How do I START it?

Will that allow the system to access the CD-ROM? If not, what is the next step?

As may be related, when I select CD-ROM under the + Components sub-category of SYSTEM INFORMATION, nothing shows in the information display on the right!? WHY???
    Again, this is a donated system from the Dept. of Vocational Rehab. They just clean them up, and that is the extent of it. I am on SS, so no $ to buy better (it only has 512 RAM, so you know what I deal with).
    I assume the drive is physically wired to work.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• In the command prompt, run devmgmt.msc.  Check if the CD drive is listed in the hardware list, and if it is, are there any yellow triangles or red ! 's on it?
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:42 AM