none
DPM 2016, Modern Sorage Backup - DPm is reserving tons of space, 700GB Volume "uses" 10.000GB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I got a very weird problem. I recenty switched to Modern Storage Backup. (Thrusday) Now the DPM console tells me that my Storage has -355% space left. What??? In reality the storage is half empty.

I also see that protected volumes needing tons and tons of space. I mean DPM tells me that tehy do. But they do not... One 700GB Volume uses 10.000GB accorind to DPM. With every protection point the number grows for another 700 - 800GB. This dos no reflect on the storage.

I got no clue why. I mean, it seem like DPM reserving the space. But it´s not used. I can see that the storage does not grow much.
    I put together a screenshot, because i think my explenation is not very understandable. This behavior is unknown to me.
    The only trouble it´s causing at the moment: Can´t add new members to protection group beacuse DPM tells me there is no free space. But there is plenty...

• Edited by Intirius Monday, February 13, 2017 9:53 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This was a problem in DPM 2016 when released and was fixed in Update Rollup 1 (UR1).   We recently released update rollup 2 UR2) which contains many new fixes related to modern backup storage, so please install KB3209593-Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager - then see if things improve.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This was a problem in DPM 2016 when released and was fixed in Update Rollup 1 (UR1).   We recently released update rollup 2 UR2) which contains many new fixes related to modern backup storage, so please install KB3209593-Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager - then see if things improve.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:19 PM
  • Thanks. Problem is partly solved. The storage shows the right amount of free space.The replica from above still shows over 10.000 GB. I was able to add members to protect.

• Edited by Intirius Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:31 AM