locked
Deploying client through gpo RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a small site and the client msi is deployed through group policy assigned applications. Looking at the logs while trouble shooting another issue I noticed what appeared like the client re-installing itself to the original deployed version as it later got updated by sccm during an update?

    Does the client not have facilities internally to mitigate this, or is it expected and therefore not recommended to deploy the msi client given this caveat?

    Thanks!
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 3:14 PM

Answers

All replies

  • You are referring to the ConfigMgr client? I believe you always want to use ccmsetup.exe. Why are you using the .msi directly?

    Daniel Ratliff | http://www.PotentEngineer.com | @PotentEngineer

    Sunday, March 29, 2015 4:12 PM
  • I have always used the MSI when adding it into a GPO. Haven't done it for a while though.

    http://prajwaldesai.com/deploying-configuration-manager-2012-r2-clients-using-group-policy/

    CU updates are small and not classed as upgrades, these usually have to be carried out by deploying the client upgrade package that is automatically created when you install any CU.

    http://www.ronnipedersen.com/2014/08/sccm-2012-how-does-automatic-client-upgrade-work/

    If you push out the client via GPO or via client push you will find that version 5.00.7958.1000 is installed to the device.

    If you are using MDT/OSD you can include the latest version of the client with the CU included.

    I think Jason's startup script also searches for any MSP's in a folder specified so also distributes the latest client with the latest CU.

    http://blog.configmgrftw.com/configmgr-client-startup-script/

    • Marked as answer by Ritmo2k Sunday, March 29, 2015 4:31 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Much appreciated, those links were very informative!

    Thanks.
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 4:32 PM
  • As a test I just deployed the client via push to a new device, then installed the latest CU.

    I then enabled the client install via GPO and rebooted the device.

    The installation runs but doesn't take as long as usual.

    After the installation the client is still at the latest CU.

    I guess if it happened any other way there would be issues as packages don't use detection rules and once a package is marked as installed, it's installed.


    Sunday, March 29, 2015 5:00 PM

  • I guess if it happened any other way there would be issues as packages don't use detection rules and once a package is marked as installed, it's installed

    Examine ccmsetup.log so you don't have to guess ;-)

    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

    Monday, March 30, 2015 9:22 AM