none
Remote desktop RDS 2016 gives back screen on logon and prevents progression to desktop. audiodg.exe halting logon process RRS feed

• Question

• Remote desktop RDS 2016 gives back screen on logon and prevents progression to desktop. audiodg.exe halting logon process
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:16 AM

Answers

• Symptoms for this fix require firefox (where the problem starts) to be installed in your build and 2016 (audiodg.exe related issue)

The bug is formed by firefox creating an endless loop in the audiodg.exe process, even if firefox is closed and the sessions terminated, the loop within audiodg.exe will remain halting windows logons just before desktop is shown.

In short the fix is (if your issue is to do with terminating audiodg.exe, where terminating it fixes the issue):

Added a preferential policy for users to set the windows default sound scheme to “no sound” HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes (default value = ".None")

The problem:

We had sessions stuck at a black screen, during logon 2016 RDS.

~ 4 months ago we worked with MS and I sent them a few memory dumps

While they were evaluating the dumps I found a process via RDP ing to an effected host, kicking all the users then going through all the processes killing them one at a time

I eventually found via the RDP console, “audiodg.exe” when I killed it all the sessions progressed to desktop immediately

MS looked at this process and the memory dumps and found a deadloop had been created with this exe even though the caller “firefox” had been closed and the sessions terminated

End up they were able to replicate the issue by playing 3 videos concurrently within one firefox tab, this created an endless looping process within audiodg.exe
    •We ended up closing the case with remove firefox or disable audio (knowing we could not do either)

Time passes and I had time to think about it, with the odd host having the issue every now and then

We had the issue last week on two host and I looked into it further

My first idea was to kill audiodg.exe on a 5 minute basis

I found IE and chrome coped with that fine (audio would pause for .5 of  a second, audiodg.exe would restart immediately and the video would continue playing

Firefox, the video paused and had to be un-paused.  Thought this is not ideal and may cause a call or two

I then went through the hosts and found audiodg.exe not running on all of them (ahh so it’s not running all the time, what calls it then)

Started a youtube vid and audiodg.exe starts immediately, it must be used to split the audio for each of the user sessions

I then thought well if it’s not running all the time then what calls it during the logon process (light bulb moment. windows sounds, the logon sound)

•Added a user preferential policy to set the windows default sound scheme to “no sound” HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes (default value = ".None")

Have not seen the issue since

Applies to Terminal server 2016 (firefox all versions, some are worse than others)

We will likely add a 6 hr sched task in to kill audiodg.exe because if a deadloop exists it is likely no audio can be played for other users.

Below is the registry key that needs to be set to ".none". This Registry key changes is the sound scheme for windows sounds to "no sounds".  This stops windows playing the logon sound during logon.  

The reason this halts the logon process, firefox would have created an endless looping process (detailed in above ), this prevents new logging on users from being able to launch a new audiodg.exe thread when the logon sound would play.

At some stage audiodg.exe will likely need to be terminated, this is to clear the infinate loop (suggesting a daily sheduled task at a minimum, I will likely setup a 3-6hr task).

Why terminate? If audiodg.exe was in astate of infinate loop audio may not work for new users. 

You could use either vbs/powershell or pskill.exe from sysinternals  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pskill  to terminate it on a regular basis via a scheduled task.

The Registy key fix, windows sound scheme (logon sounds etc) to none:

This registry key above is the result of the Control panel/sounds app change for windows sounds (default value) should = ".none" above same as this setting via the sound control panel application.

The correct setting via the control panel/sounds app = "no sounds"

Setting the sound scheme to no sounds via preferential group policy

Hope this helps

Credit to MS support for analysing the memory dumps

Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:17 AM

All replies

• Symptoms for this fix require firefox (where the problem starts) to be installed in your build and 2016 (audiodg.exe related issue)

The bug is formed by firefox creating an endless loop in the audiodg.exe process, even if firefox is closed and the sessions terminated, the loop within audiodg.exe will remain halting windows logons just before desktop is shown.

In short the fix is (if your issue is to do with terminating audiodg.exe, where terminating it fixes the issue):

Added a preferential policy for users to set the windows default sound scheme to “no sound” HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes (default value = ".None")

The problem:

We had sessions stuck at a black screen, during logon 2016 RDS.

~ 4 months ago we worked with MS and I sent them a few memory dumps

While they were evaluating the dumps I found a process via RDP ing to an effected host, kicking all the users then going through all the processes killing them one at a time

I eventually found via the RDP console, “audiodg.exe” when I killed it all the sessions progressed to desktop immediately

MS looked at this process and the memory dumps and found a deadloop had been created with this exe even though the caller “firefox” had been closed and the sessions terminated

End up they were able to replicate the issue by playing 3 videos concurrently within one firefox tab, this created an endless looping process within audiodg.exe
    •We ended up closing the case with remove firefox or disable audio (knowing we could not do either)

Time passes and I had time to think about it, with the odd host having the issue every now and then

We had the issue last week on two host and I looked into it further

My first idea was to kill audiodg.exe on a 5 minute basis

I found IE and chrome coped with that fine (audio would pause for .5 of  a second, audiodg.exe would restart immediately and the video would continue playing

Firefox, the video paused and had to be un-paused.  Thought this is not ideal and may cause a call or two

I then went through the hosts and found audiodg.exe not running on all of them (ahh so it’s not running all the time, what calls it then)

Started a youtube vid and audiodg.exe starts immediately, it must be used to split the audio for each of the user sessions

I then thought well if it’s not running all the time then what calls it during the logon process (light bulb moment. windows sounds, the logon sound)

•Added a user preferential policy to set the windows default sound scheme to “no sound” HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes (default value = ".None")

Have not seen the issue since

Applies to Terminal server 2016 (firefox all versions, some are worse than others)

We will likely add a 6 hr sched task in to kill audiodg.exe because if a deadloop exists it is likely no audio can be played for other users.

Below is the registry key that needs to be set to ".none". This Registry key changes is the sound scheme for windows sounds to "no sounds".  This stops windows playing the logon sound during logon.  

The reason this halts the logon process, firefox would have created an endless looping process (detailed in above ), this prevents new logging on users from being able to launch a new audiodg.exe thread when the logon sound would play.

At some stage audiodg.exe will likely need to be terminated, this is to clear the infinate loop (suggesting a daily sheduled task at a minimum, I will likely setup a 3-6hr task).

Why terminate? If audiodg.exe was in astate of infinate loop audio may not work for new users. 

You could use either vbs/powershell or pskill.exe from sysinternals  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pskill  to terminate it on a regular basis via a scheduled task.

The Registy key fix, windows sound scheme (logon sounds etc) to none:

This registry key above is the result of the Control panel/sounds app change for windows sounds (default value) should = ".none" above same as this setting via the sound control panel application.

The correct setting via the control panel/sounds app = "no sounds"

Setting the sound scheme to no sounds via preferential group policy

Hope this helps

Credit to MS support for analysing the memory dumps

Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Having the same Problem here. Can you send a screenshot how the registry entry should look like?

Regards,

Dominic

Friday, July 6, 2018 12:12 PM
  • Migrating from W2008 R2 RDSH to W2016 RDSH and Firefox being our preferred browser, I confirm that this problem is still present.

Had several occurrence on several several servers. Restarting Windows Audio service solved (temporarily) the problem. Note that black screen of ...deaf is not the only nor the main problem.The initial problem is that on an open session Firefox is hanging and some other software are simply refusing to run, w/o any clue. So people logoff and then can't logon anymore. This is totally insane.

Considering moving from Firefox to Edge (no just kidding, Edge still not available in 2016 RDSH). More likely and sadly to Chrome..

• Edited by lolix2 Monday, October 8, 2018 3:09 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 3:05 PM
  • While Firefox seems the main source of that BSOD, the root problem lies in audiodg.exe and the OS , right ?

Any third party software should not be able to create such deadlock in a system exe in the first place. Second, an audio problem should not propagate to other functionalities such as login in.

• Edited by lolix2 Wednesday, October 10, 2018 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 7:35 AM
  • To make sure no system sound will be played ever, I completely removed the corresponding registry key HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps

Added to login script :

Powershell -Command "& { if (test-path 'HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps') {Copy-Item -path 'HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps' -Destination 'HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps.copy' -recurse;Remove-Item -path 'HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps'-recurse}}"

Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:21 AM
  • The problem is alleviated by disabling system sounds but it still occurs randomly here and then.

Any sign of a fix ?

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:22 AM