Anywhere Access VPN RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing problems with my Windows 10 client PCs not being able to connect to our Windows 2016 Essentials Server via Anywhere Access VPN.

It started with them being unable to connect to Anywhere Access VPN at all. They would click on the VPN connection on their PCs (configured automatically by Windows), it would ask them for their login details, it would connect but, immediately disconnect. I solved this (partially) by using the "Repair" function within Windows Essentials Experience. This works for a few days then, I have to "Repair" Anywhere Access VPN again and reboot the server.

When the client is able to connect to the server remotely. They cannot access the server "Shared Folders". We get the message "Error code: 0x80070035, The network path was not found". I can ping the local server IPv4 address when VPN is connected. If I access the server using https://<server>.remotewebaccess.com/remote (in a web browser), I can access the server Shared Folders without a problem.

Could you please advise me as to what I need to do to resolve the issue with Anywhere Access VPN as this is our preferred method of connecting clients to our server.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that VPN stops working regularly on Windows Server Essentials.

I want to confirm with you if your VPN domain name is configured using a live account with a Go Daddy certificate which is issued automatically during VPN configuration? 

Please check below:
    1. Open IIS Management and confirm that if there are multi certificates which is issued to your VPN(xxx.remotewebaccess.com).
    2. You had mentioned that, Anywhere Access Repair fix it temporarily, please confirm that, if there will be new cert (which is issued to your VPN - xxx.remotewebaccess.com) displayed on IIS manager once your had run Anywhere Access Repair.
    3. Whether such problem happens every 24-48 hours?
    4. Please check event log and confirm that if you can find relate event, such as System event ID 6 with source Microsoft-Windows-RasSstp.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that VPN stops working regularly on Windows Server Essentials.

I want to confirm with you if your VPN domain name is configured using a live account with a Go Daddy certificate which is issued automatically during VPN configuration? 

Please check below:
    1. Open IIS Management and confirm that if there are multi certificates which is issued to your VPN(xxx.remotewebaccess.com).
    2. You had mentioned that, Anywhere Access Repair fix it temporarily, please confirm that, if there will be new cert (which is issued to your VPN - xxx.remotewebaccess.com) displayed on IIS manager once your had run Anywhere Access Repair.
    3. Whether such problem happens every 24-48 hours?
    4. Please check event log and confirm that if you can find relate event, such as System event ID 6 with source Microsoft-Windows-RasSstp.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, November 19, 2018 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:05 AM
  • In the end, I completely rebuilt the server. I experienced a issue during the new installation but, I followed some advice around manually binding the Go Daddy SSL certificate. I then repaired VPN/Direct Access using the wizard and all is fine now.
    Monday, February 11, 2019 1:04 PM