none
System State backs up ok, BMR fails. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using DPM2010 for a while now (moved on from DPM2007). I'm mainly protecting 2008/R2 servers for System State and BMR. This works ok for most servers, but a few seem to be causing problems.

While I can protect the System State on a server ok, if I try and include BMR info, the backup will run, then fail after a lengthy period of time with the error

DPM is out of disk space for the replica. (ID 58 Details: Internal Error Code: 0x809909FF)

Thing is, the replica is not out of space. There's plenty of free space in the replica, and as far as I'm aware, DPM will auto-grow replica/recovery point volumes if necessary anyway. The server has plenty of free space on it's system disk as well. If I remove the BMR from the protection group for the server, the System State will backup ok.

As I said, this doesn't happen on all servers, just some. Even if I manually add more space to the replica, it doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:41 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hello,

When taking a BMR it will snapshot the whole C: drive. 
    DPM does not calculate the size of BMR data source, but assumes 30 GB for all servers. Admins should change the value as per the size of BMR backups expected on their environments.  Size of BMR backup can be roughly calculated sum of used space on all critical volumes.  

Critical volumes = Boot Volume + System Volume + Volume hosting system state data such as AD DIT/log volumes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634208.aspx

Thanks,
    Shane

Friday, May 20, 2011 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try the following:

a.) Make sure that autogrow is enabled on the datasource. If not enabled, then please do so and test a BMR backup.
    b.) Test the BMR capability locally on the server itself via wbadmin.

Question: How much space do you have allocated in the protection group for this BMR backup?

Shane

Friday, May 20, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Thanks

I can confirm that the protection group is set to 'grow automatically'. There are other servers in the group that backup the BMR and System State fine. For this particular server, the replica is 40GB, the current used space is ~8.5GB. Disk space allocated to the whole protection group is 186GB.

It does occur to me that this particular server has approx 6TB of local storage, and the O/S is installed on a pair of h/w mirrored 1TB drives that have other volumes with hundreds GB's of data on them. While I would never expect to recover this data from a BMR, I would expect to be able to recover the operating system. Could this be a problem? Is there a way of telling DPM just to provide BMR for the operating system? Will BMR at the very least be trying to protect the entire physical disk mirror that the O/S resides on?

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hello,

When taking a BMR it will snapshot the whole C: drive. 
    DPM does not calculate the size of BMR data source, but assumes 30 GB for all servers. Admins should change the value as per the size of BMR backups expected on their environments.  Size of BMR backup can be roughly calculated sum of used space on all critical volumes.  

Critical volumes = Boot Volume + System Volume + Volume hosting system state data such as AD DIT/log volumes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634208.aspx

Thanks,
    Shane

Friday, May 20, 2011 5:32 PM