none
Data Protection Manager and SMB 3.0 Multichannel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

This post was wrongly posted in another forum, so excuse me for the duplicate

I would like to know if Multichannel is enabled/used with DPM 2011 SP1.
    I have two servers with win 2012 and each of them have 4 NICs on the same subnet.Each NIC have an IP Addess (leased by a DHCP) and all seems to work as expected.

I'm testing some protection for my file server and I expect to see multichannel working, but this is  not happening.

get-SmbMultiChannelConneciton doesn't get anything and it simply seems to not be active. Even get-SmbConnection does not respond any line.

Is multichannel supported in DPM or I made something wrong?

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:10 PM

Answers

• I don't believe DPM uses SMB to transfer the actual backup data as that is handled on a TCP data channel with the client. I think the only use of SMB with DPM is for deploying the Agent installation files - 

As to SMB 3.0 Multi-channel. It is enabled by default in windows 2012 - 

Regards,

Kyle

• Marked as answer by itafaber Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:19 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Well, NIC teaming will allow the servers to have a higher available throughput; but keep in mind that your network infrastructure needs to be able to support it as well. Also, there are additional system limitations on how fast your hard drives can supply the read/write send requests. I would take a look at your possible bottle necks before going too far.  Switch speeds vs. NIC team speeds with a consideration for how fast your hard drives are.

Regards,

Kyle

Friday, June 14, 2013 1:33 PM

All replies

• I don't believe DPM uses SMB to transfer the actual backup data as that is handled on a TCP data channel with the client. I think the only use of SMB with DPM is for deploying the Agent installation files - 

As to SMB 3.0 Multi-channel. It is enabled by default in windows 2012 - 

Regards,

Kyle

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:11 PM
  • thank you Kyle!

Does it means that I should team the interfaces if I want more bandwidth?

Thank you for your response

Friday, June 14, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Well, NIC teaming will allow the servers to have a higher available throughput; but keep in mind that your network infrastructure needs to be able to support it as well. Also, there are additional system limitations on how fast your hard drives can supply the read/write send requests. I would take a look at your possible bottle necks before going too far.  Switch speeds vs. NIC team speeds with a consideration for how fast your hard drives are.

Regards,

Kyle

Friday, June 14, 2013 1:33 PM