URL not working in web application. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I'm having problems when I try to access a web application I've created in Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration. The web application creation seems to be successfull and so does the creation of the site collection for this web application. The problem is that when I go to IE and put the URL of my web application (http://spdata) I get the error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"...

I've checked IIS  and everything seems to be fine. I have also added additional url by using "alternate access mapping" still both are not working.

Can anyone help me, please?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you can not ping SPData (Open a Dos prompt and type > ping spdata) then you either need to:

1. Add a DNS A Record for SPData using the IP Address of the Server or a CName for SPData using the Servers FQDN.

2. Add a Host Record to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ETC\Hosts using the IP Address and the Host Name SPData.

-Ivan

-Ivan

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you ping SPData? and if you are testing the WebApp from the Server where you have installed SharePoint did you disable LoopBack Check

Reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861/en-us

-Ivan

-Ivan

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Thank you for the information.

Which SPData you need .. ?can you ellaborate .?

I have tried the LoopBack check its already disabled.. please help.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Hi Shiny,

First of all open a new private browsing session of any browser, access url of your site collection and not of WebApplication, if it asks you credential, then its fine site, if its not; check your ULS Log and event log you must find something related to your problem.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Thanks for response.

As i am new to Sharepoint please specify how to check the ULS log and event Log ..

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Is the issue something related to DNS record.. Do i need to add the dns Record.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

If you can not ping SPData (Open a Dos prompt and type > ping spdata) then you either need to:

1. Add a DNS A Record for SPData using the IP Address of the Server or a CName for SPData using the Servers FQDN.

2. Add a Host Record to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ETC\Hosts using the IP Address and the Host Name SPData.

-Ivan

-Ivan

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:20 PM