incorrect numbering list in word insert file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I have two documents with numbering list. when I insert mentioned files in the third file, the numbering does not restart for each page. After that, I have to perform right click and reset at 1 for each list in each page. What can I do for this problem?

Monday, July 10, 2017 12:55 PM

All replies

• Word is operating as expected. The default is to continue numbering. There is no setting for this.

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly

If you have your numbering set attached to styles and your lists are at level two, with direction to restart numbering after occurrence of a level one with a level one at the top of each page, that would also do it.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, July 10, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Cross-posted at: https://www.office-forums.com/threads/incorrect-numbering-list-in-word-insert-file.2350016/
    For cross-posting etiquette, please read: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi Samira,

Just checking in to see how's everything going with this issue. Was the reply provided by Charles helpful? If hi suggestion is useful, could you please help mark the reply as answer then other community members who might have a similar situation can more easily find the resolution?

If you still need assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:26 PM
  • The easiest way to control paragraph numbering restarts is to set it up as a multilevel list, as Charles suggested. If "intervening" unnumbered paragraphs should restart the numbering, you could set its style as level 1 in your multilevel list. For more, see the article for which Charles provided a link, and note that the instructions in the article apply to all multilevel numbering, not just to headings.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:20 PM