Re-installing Vista 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I recently encountered some problems with my laptop that I was not able to correct, even with the help of the fine folks at techsupportforums.com.  My comp has several problems that could not be pinned down, and I now need to format the drive and re-install Vista.  Unfortunately, a couple of the problems it has are that the original recovery partition is gone, and using the system restore from a standard recovery disk says that no recovery points can be found, so I have to do a complete re-install.

I found the link to the MS WIAK download, and have burned that to a DVD, however I haven't had time yet to actually give it a try (just got the disc bruned this morning, and am at work now).

After reading the user guide, this thing appears to be a bit over my head.  I know a fair bit about comps being a developer, but I'm no OS installation expert.  Will this WAIK disc do what I need it to (a complete format and re-install)?  Will it install the 64 bit version (which is what I need), or do I need something else?  Do I need to know anything special about using this versus a standard installation disc?

Thank you very much for your time.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'm afraid that you got a wrong concept about WAIK, which is just a UI utility to help you deploying Microsoft Windows Vista family of operation systems. You can use it to edit answer file (unattended.xml) in order to realize an unattended installation, capture Windows images with ImageX, and create Windows PE images.

To meet your requirement, you should obtain a full-version copy of Windows Vista setup disk.

If you received your original software from the manufacturer of your computer, please contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for replacement disks and manuals.

If Setup CD or DVD is damaged or you cannot find the original installation CDs any more, you can directly contact our Microsoft Order Desk to order replacement CDs for most Microsoft products.

U.S. customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at the following phone number:

(800) 360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

Canadian customers can contact the Canadian Order Desk at the following number:

(800) 933-4750, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

For your convenience, you may check the status of an order placed online at <http://status.microsoft.upgrade.com/>

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 13, 2009 7:48 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:15 AM