Windows 10 RDP not working RRS feed

• Question

• RDP was initially working when connected at HQ location however the computer was not able to RDP from itself to other computers, after moving to a branch office with RODC we were not able to RDP to the Windows 10 computer.

Receive the following message:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer

Try connecting again, if the problem continues.....

Firewall profiles are set to off.  Verified that the Windows 10 box is listening on RDP port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bc

Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:30 PM

All replies

• I shall suggest you to try Microsoft Remote Desktop

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, January 5, 2018 1:23 AM
  • Hi bc,

Let's confirm some situation.

Did you talk about one computer installed Windows 10?

And at HQ location, this Windows 10 cannot connect to another computer via RDP, right? What if reverse?

In the RODC office, other computer cannot connect to this Windows 10 via RDP, right?

Please follow this general guide to troubleshoot by yourself firstly:

Frequently asked questions about the Remote Desktop clients

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-client-faq

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:36 AM
  • Yes, the workstation is windows 10

1.  When at HQ I was able to RDP from domain, however the workstation could not rdp out

2.  When at branch office with RODC we are not able to RDP from HQ.

Checked everything in the guide you referred me to.  Is it possible there is an issue with a certificate?

Barb

bc

Saturday, January 6, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Yes, the workstation is windows 10

1.  When at HQ I was able to RDP from domain, however the workstation could not rdp out

domain PC -> Windows 10 , Windows 10 -/>domain PC

Did they in the same network?

Did Windows 10 join domain?

2.  When at branch office with RODC we are not able to RDP from HQ.

HQ computer -/> Windows 10 in RODC

Checked everything in the guide you referred me to.  Is it possible there is an issue with a certificate?

Please be aware that they must be in the same network to connect with RDP or using VPN.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Yes, they are in same network.

What I have been able to determine is Window7 workstations can RDP to the Windows 10 Workstation.

The issue is that RDP from a 2008 r2 server to the windows 10 workstations does not work.

bc

• Edited by mcsepit Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:49 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:34 PM
  • I don't believe that article applies, I have the following issue:

Log onto Server 2008r2 and then try to RDP to Windows 10 - I receive the error:  "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.  Try connecting again.

If I log into win7 machine I can RDP to a Windows 10 workstation with no problem.

I can also RDP from Windows 10 to Server 2008R2, just not the other way around.

Barb

bc

Monday, March 5, 2018 3:34 PM
  • Yes, and I can remote to the workstation but only from Windows 7 workstations, not from the 2008R2 servers

bc

Monday, March 5, 2018 10:02 PM
  • Still no joy!

I ran wireshark on both the windows 10 and Server 2008 R2 

it appears that the connection is reset 

bc

• Edited by mcsepit Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:09 PM

• What I have been able to determine is Window7 workstations can RDP to the Windows 10 Workstation.

The issue is that RDP from a 2008 r2 server to the windows 10 workstations does not work.

bc

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:47 PM
  • Still not working. 

bc

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:11 PM
  • Hello,

I recently had a lot of problems trying to connect with RDP.

Used to work fine until I updated to a new work computer, then couldn't connect to it remotely. I could get to the login screen, but failed credentials.

After trying all suggestions here and elsewhere, the solution came down to a simple one (Doesn't it always...) - during setting up the new PC, rather than creating myself up as a new user, I just renamed the default 'User' account to 'MyName', set the password, and proceeded to install programs etc...

This worked perfectly fine for everything; except RDP it seems. Trying to remotely log in as user 'MyName' eternally failed.

Then I eventually noticed under c:\users there was no c:\users\MyName profile. My whole profile was still under the original c:\users\user directory.

So I tried logging in as 'User', but with 'MyName' password. Worked perfectly...

Then it became a bit of a process, having to create a new user MyName, shift all data files for mail etc... over to the 'new' user, but at least I can now remotely log in as 'MyName', and possibly prevent other quirky situations in future.

Also another check is to define what is remote - if you are remoting on the same LAN (Say via wifi with your mobile) then the ip address is the local ip of the 'remote' pc. If you are WAN (From home say) 'remote', then you need the WAN address of your remote PC, and port forwarding through the modem to the local ip.

I'm no pc expert but hope these comments help.

Mr swas

Friday, July 13, 2018 1:23 AM