Server 2016 question concerning Live migration between storage and NAS RRS feed

• Question

• In the “real world” I’d use hyperv replica for storage migration and accept/schedule the very brief outage for the server to restart after the replica has finished initial sync. I need things done “right” more than I need them done fast or in an interesting manner.

BUT MICROSOFT DOESNT SEE IT THAT WAY :)))))))))))))

This is a practice question for MCSA Server 2016 and would like the communities help

Does Live migration only migrate the virtual machine and not the storage? If local storage cannot see SAN1 this would be impossible right?

One host is Local Storage/Switch1

Second is NAS/Switch 2

Now obviously you're going to get prompted for information on the 2nd switch but it won't disconnect your virtual machine right?

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

>>>Does Live migration only migrate the virtual machine and not the storage?

Yes! We could refer to this blog (https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/a-step-by-step-guide-hyper-v-live-migration/ ) and learn about that,

• Requires the source and target hosts to be able to access the same storage, although not necessarily simultaneously
    • Only virtual machine ownership and its active state changes hands; files do not move

>>>If local storage cannot see SAN1 this would be impossible.

I’m still a little confused about this concern. Based on my experience, some VMs’ files regarding the clustered VMs such as configuration, network connectivity, VHD(x) all stored in the shared storage, as the NAS on the Switch2 of your environment. It requires the two hosts can both communicate with the NAS across the SAN2.  

Which files regarding VMs are stored in the storage, we could refer to this article,

https://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/Deep-dive-into-Hyper-V-files-and-folders

>>>Now obviously you're going to get prompted for information on the 2nd switch but it won't disconnect your virtual machine right?

While not precisely downtime-free, the interruption is almost immeasurably brief. If we test PING when Live-Migration  processing, there are a small amount of packages to be lost. Usually the longest delay is in the networking layer while the virtual machine’s MAC address is registered on the new physical switch port and its new location is propagated throughout the network.

Reference link:

https://www.petri.com/windows-server-2012-hyper-v-live-migration

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope above information can help you. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 30, 2018 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back

Best Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:22 AM