none
DPM 2012 R2 - Online Recovery Point showing incorrect file data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My DPM Server is 2012 R2 version 4.2.1312.0.

I have a file in a protection group that is about 30 GB in size. Once per week this file grows slightly - by approximately 100 MB. My short term protection shows the correct "Last modified date" and size for this particular file. Predictably, this date increases and so does the file size as verified by looking in the files available for recovery from Disk.

Online recovery points are a different story. Online retention period is one year with a weekly recovery point. The filedate stopped incrementing in June of 2015 along with the file size. Prior to June, online recovery points show variation between the file size and date modified.

Searching the job logs for the affected protection group volume shows that the online recovery point creations occur successfully weekly as planned. Furthermore, they show an increase in data baked up online by the appropriate amount.

Could the recovery console simply be providing me an incorrect view of the file's metadata?

Azure Agent backup Agent running right now is 2.0.8715.0

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:41 PM

Answers

• UPDATE: In a related support case with MS, it was told to me that there is a bug such that the latest Online Recovery points may show the incorrect time stamp in the DPM GUI. The support team was unaware if this would affect the file size that is also reported in the DPM GUI. Support told me that if I restore the file, the affected files will have the correct time stamp upon restore.

I tested a restore and they are correct, this does appear to be a bug in the DPM GUI. The restored file showed the correct time stamp equal to that of the disk based recovery points and the actual file on the server. In addition, the file was of the correct size, so although MS Support does not appear to be aware of the issue, this bug also impacts the file size reported by the DPM GUI.

MS Support did not advise as to any scenarios where this situation occurs.

Hope this helps someone out there!

• Marked as answer by strongbad2 Monday, February 1, 2016 3:18 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 3:18 PM

All replies

• As an update last week I updated the Azure Agent to the latest, version 2.0.9022.0. The problem still exists:
    Disk backups are capturing the changed file, online recovery points are not. What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:41 PM
  • UPDATE: In a related support case with MS, it was told to me that there is a bug such that the latest Online Recovery points may show the incorrect time stamp in the DPM GUI. The support team was unaware if this would affect the file size that is also reported in the DPM GUI. Support told me that if I restore the file, the affected files will have the correct time stamp upon restore.

I tested a restore and they are correct, this does appear to be a bug in the DPM GUI. The restored file showed the correct time stamp equal to that of the disk based recovery points and the actual file on the server. In addition, the file was of the correct size, so although MS Support does not appear to be aware of the issue, this bug also impacts the file size reported by the DPM GUI.

MS Support did not advise as to any scenarios where this situation occurs.

Hope this helps someone out there!

• Marked as answer by strongbad2 Monday, February 1, 2016 3:18 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 3:18 PM