none
Send task and Resources Alerts and Reminders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to send task alerts and reminder to top management / portfolio manager. for exam In Project ABC, task A, B,C. when team member update task, reminder send to Project Manager as well as to Portfolio Manager. Same if any task is overdue or just 1 day before task is started, reminder email should be goes to Project Manager and Top Management / Portfolio Manager. Please guide how do i configure it.

i have checked Manage My Resources' Alerts and Reminders : Task Reminders if i configure it will it send reminder to portfolio manager as well.

pls guide
    thx 

iffi

Monday, May 14, 2018 11:05 AM

All replies

• iffi,

The Alerts and Reminders element is designed with "line management" in mind, individuals are Team Members when they are assigned to tasks within a project that you own, the recipients will be the person who manages the project and those working in the project - it does not seek to communicate "upwards".

This implies that each project owner would need to set up these alerts and reminders but even if that were done the alerts and reminders are sent to a narrower audience than you are looking to achieve. 

I am not up to speed with Flow but suspect that looking to create some kind of "if this then that" rule could be an answer. 

Whilst this might be possible I would question whether it is desirable. Most organisations I have dealt with tend to operate on a "management by exception" principle - if things are going to plan great, if not let us know.

Bombarding more senior colleagues with this information may just add to the noise and clutter that diverts them from adding value. 

If this requirement comes from above then creating alerts may be the least of your problems.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, May 14, 2018 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Top management ask to receive email alerts when any task over due or not yet started / delay in starts. pls guide how can i configure / achieve to send reminder email to Top Management other than team member and PM.

thx.

iffi

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:30 AM
  • There is no out of the box soln for this.  Your best soln would be to build a power bi report or Excel report that filters on all late tasks

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:54 AM
  • I agree with Ben - provide a report to management that extracts late, overdue and unstarted tasks. A report of this sort is relatively easy to generate in Excel and a big benefit is that you can "sense check" the report before putting it before senior management. 

I have been involved in two major global integration and transformation programmes in the past 3 years where this sort of report was employed as part of the regular reporting cycle - running it once and then reviewing it with Team members both focused them on where they needed to improve and also illustrated how their missed targets were presented to senior management. In both cases the incidence of delayed tasks reduced quite quickly.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:20 AM