none
Task Approval and Publishing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Why is it, that when I approve a task update in the Approval Centre, I have to always then go into the "History" section to manually publish the update.

Wouldn't it make sense that once it is accepted, its automatically published?

Thnx

Jeff

Friday, December 9, 2016 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

Project is working like this since age, the approval requires a publish. My thought is that the project manager might want to review the schedule with the remaining work before publishing, so it is not published automatically after the approval. Note that you can set a rule to automatically approve and publish updates for all or specific projects and resources.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume,

I though the point of the "Approval" process was to assess the changes and impacts there and then.

Once this assessment is made, then the PM approves the update, and hence should be automatically published.

Seems like a pointless step to me.

It also seems the rules do not allow a manual approval, followed by a rule that publishes. It seems to want to apply to "requests" only, unless I'm missing something?

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:13 AM
  • Unfortunately this is the way it is designed :-( . Some MVPs on this forum are working with Proejct since the first version, maybe they'll be able to give a more accurate reason.

Then you're right, you cannot just publish the update task manually approved, the auto publish has to come with an auto approval.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Uthall --

In addition to the excellent responses by Guillaume, I think I may be able to shed some light on this.  The process that I recommend is as follows:

1. Approve pending task updates for one project at a time in the Approval Center page in PWA.
    2. Open the project in Microsoft Project.
    3. Set the Status Date and then reschedule uncompleted work from the past.
    4. Analyze variance and then adjust the schedule as needed.
    5. Save and publish the project.

I suspect Microsoft's design of the approval process takes into account the need for the PM to open the project in Microsoft Project and to do steps #3-5.  Just a thought.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, December 9, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Thanks Dale,

I have at least 20 projects, many small, that I would weekly if not daily do this for, so I was hoping I could avoid that process, and mange it quickly from with the approval system....

Your suggestion does make good logical sense however, so appreciated.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Uthall --

In your situation, you might consider creating one or more Rules on the Approval Center page in PWA.  When you create each Rule, you can specify whether to have the system automatically approve task updates and whether to automatically publish those approved task updates.  You should find a Manage Rules button in the ribbon that will walk you through the process of creating a Rule.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, December 10, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Yes that is an option, but doing so would not allow any control at all over the task updates.

Sadly, what I want is not achievable by the manual or auto process, although I'm sure my reasoning is not unique for wanting to do this.

I'm curious as to how others manage the need to manually approval updates with a large number of projects........and the associated manual publish.

Thanks

Jeff

• Edited by Uthall Sunday, December 11, 2016 3:43 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Jeff -

You are correct - you are not unique in wanting this modified.  Microsoft takes a view on how things should be done and doesn't allow for variances in circumstances. 

We have many instances where for some projects or specific resources, we want to manually review and approve these updates but once they have been approved - be able to create a rule to auto-publish updates.  Some projects are fine with the auto-approve/auto-publish option.  It is frustrating that it is currently programmed for an all or nothing situation - either total approval and publish or fully manual approval and manual publish.

I hope they will see the light soon - we also want a way for our manager to review before approving but not spend their time then publishing what they approved.  Or else they need to make publishing a whole lot easier to do for multiple projects and potentially numerous resources at a time.

We have alerted our PMs to a variety of ways of publishing updates in the meantime but it is still cumbersome. (The first is the 'closest' to a solution to publishing multiple but it is not obvious and still requires individually clicking each line at a time.)

• Publish updates from the history in the approval window <good for a few to several updates and multiple projects, cumbersome when it is many updates - have to individually select each one that is unpublished>
    • Publish their projects from PWA <good for many updates and one project, plus online>
    • Publish their projects from the desktop application <good for many updates and one project>

Regards,

AMSwett

Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:54 PM