none
Dpmbackup -replicas command does not create snapshot of PTD in virt.machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

Scenario ...

A virtual machine (fileserver, Windows Server 2008 R2) is running on a HyperV Host (Windows Server 2008 R2) and has a Passthroughdisc connected. On that PTD all the fileserver data is stored. (D Partition)

DPM 2010 protects this HyperV Host (virtual machine vhd file) + DPM Agent is installed inside the virtual fileserver to protect the complete D partition from within the virtual machine. Backup/Restore all works fine.

Now I am trying to backup data from the DPM server to an external HD so I used the dpmbackup.exe -replicas command to make a snapshot of all data. The logfile reports a success for the snapshot of the D partion:

Replica of Volume D: on server FILESERVER.DOMAIN.INTERN : Snapshot Successful

However, if I go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy and look for a snapshot of all the Data on the fileserver I cannot find it. There are 4 directories:

Database Backups

File System

Microsoft HyperV VSS Writer

Non VSS Datasource Writer

SQLServer Writer

Under Filesystem I just find two mountpoints leading to 3 xml files (datasetcontextinformation, datasourceprotectionintent, datasourcevolumemapping) but no data. The same goes for the content of the replica volume under C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica

Can you tell me how I can backup the content of the PTD of the fileserver from DPM ?

Thanks !

Alex

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• No idea anyone ?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Hi again,

the problem does not seem to be related to PTDs vs vhd files. Another DPM2010 server protecting the virtual machine of a HyperV Host (Host and virtual machine both Windows Server 2008 R2) ... the virtual fileserver consists of 3 vhd files, DPM agent is installed into the virtual fileserver and protects the complete E volume (vhd file 2) and specific folders on volume F (vhd file 3). Both vhd files 2 and 3 are 465GB in size.

DPM Backup and restore in the GUI works similar for both volumes. However when doing an dpmbackup.exe -replicas, shadow copies under C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System are only created for the F volume. The Shadow Copy of the E:\ volume only contains the 3 xml files but not protected data.

Seems like a bug ?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hi !

Hey ! Does Microsoft answer questions in here ? I kind of need this feature to work ...

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:34 PM
  • What do I have to do here to get an answer ???

ALMOST 3 weeks have passed, this is such bad support here !

;((

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:31 PM
  • If you would like to backup  content of PTD, there are 2 ways

1- Create another DPM server on hyper-v or physical , and install this dpm server`s agent into the your primary DPM server, by doing this you will be able to browse, and backup  content of primary DPM server, also it will be your DR site which strongly recommend not at same building with Primary DR

2- This is really easy way  insert your USB drive which was hooked the one of the server that was installed DPM agent, and your can then go to recovery tab and browse your usb drive where you hooked up the server. and Recover it over there

Here is another option: use Windows backup, I am sure you will find something by using windows backup. Because WB is one of the main invisible tool of DPM

Regards

Visit my Blog http://ferhatindi.com/
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Gee,

did you actually read what I wrote ? I already have an agent inside the virtual machine backing up the content and I can restore it. Thats not the problem. The problem is that an dpmbackup.exe -replicas comment will not mount a shadowcopy of the replica of the content of the the fileserver data. This seems to be a bug. Also it has nothing to do with data being on a PTD or a vhd ...

Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Ofcourse I have read!!

Then Why don't you write your full script ?

Visit my Blog http://ferhatindi.com/
    • Edited by ferhat Indi Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:39 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:38 PM
  • I am just running

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\DpmBackup.exe" -replicas. I get

Replica of Volume D: on server FILESERVER.DOMAIN.INTERN : Snapshot Successful

Then I am looking at

%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\vol_c8dbf4a8-7a88-4405-b11a-a813799ce437

-> no files of my fileserver, just the three xml files I mentioned in my first post. In the xml files I see that this mountpoint is indeed for the volume d on my fileserver.

This happens with almost all the filesystem data snapshots. Not only on this testserver but on all three DPM servers we have at our customers site and internally. On some data volumes it works but only on very few of them.

I even tried this with the DPM 2012 beta -> same thing.

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:35 AM
  • We have the same problem.

"dpmbackup -replicas" says "Snapshot Successful", but the "ShadowCopy\ File System" folder only contains some GUID-folders and 3 XML files. The real Snapshot (including files) is not mounted.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:32 AM