Will there be a Server Essentials SKU or role for Windows Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Server Essentials to provide centralised, storage-efficient (de-duping) backups and file/print services through Server Essentials 2016. I have downloaded the Insider Preview of 2019 and it currently only offers Standard and Datacentre editions, and there I can't find any Essentials features/roles in the preview.

Does anyone know/has anyone seen any clear information from Microsoft as to whether they will have an Essentials SKU or at least the Server Essentials feature as an option with 2019?

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>The LTSC will be available in all editions and deployment models (Core, GIU, Nano) Standard, Datacenter, Essentials etc.

>The SAC will be only a core release and only in Standard and Datacenter. The focus of SAC is Container hosts and container technology as described by Erin in her article

Quote from “Windows Server 2019- Announced”:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/serverguyuk/2018/03/21/windows-server-2019-announced/

Besides, there is no more explicit explanation on Microsoft Official Website about WSE SKU or Essentials Experience role on Windows Server 2019 until now, I would recommend you to wait for a period of time and focused on Windows Server Essentials blog for newest information.

The Windows Server Essentials and Small Business Server Blog:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>The LTSC will be available in all editions and deployment models (Core, GIU, Nano) Standard, Datacenter, Essentials etc.

>The SAC will be only a core release and only in Standard and Datacenter. The focus of SAC is Container hosts and container technology as described by Erin in her article

Quote from “Windows Server 2019- Announced”:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/serverguyuk/2018/03/21/windows-server-2019-announced/

Besides, there is no more explicit explanation on Microsoft Official Website about WSE SKU or Essentials Experience role on Windows Server 2019 until now, I would recommend you to wait for a period of time and focused on Windows Server Essentials blog for newest information.

The Windows Server Essentials and Small Business Server Blog:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Thanks, I thought I must have missed this so thanks for pointing it out to me.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:39 AM
  • this seems clear enough that all editions including Essentials are set to refresh with an LTSC. at least as of March 28. However, since the announced removal of the essentials role from Server 2019 SAC, admins are wondering how the Essentials SKU will remain viable without the role's integration in the future roadmap. 

color me skeptical, but as someone who's seen the disappearance of SBS and other small biz platforms like BCM, the future of the Essentials as an affordable product is increasingly uncertain, especially with no preview edition released or announced. 

As ever, Microsoft needs to not orphan its viable small biz base or it will surely continue the erosion of OS market share. Customers will get the products they want and need through one method or another. it's simply not tenable to force customers into cloud solutions that often do not meet their needs.

Monday, June 18, 2018 5:39 PM