Lync 2013 Product Version after September 2014 CU RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a Lync 2013 enviroment (enterprise pool with Edge server) that was previously updated to October 2013 CU, therefore the Product version that is visible from Control Panel and through Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus is 5.0.8308.556. Now we updated the environment to the latest September 2014 CU all installation went smoothly, the database upgrade was OK and from add/remove programs or from LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe I see that everything is up-to-date. But the problem is that the product version in Lync Control Panel and in Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus is still 5.0.8308.556, so my question is, is it normal and in case if not how can I troubleshoot this? (as i wrote before there was no issue on update and all seems to be patched ok from other places)...

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:35 AM

Answers

• I can confirm that I have the Sept update, I see the same versions installed running the PowerShell command, and I also see 556 from the Control Panel and from get-csmanagementstorereplicationstatus.  I believe this behavior is normal. 

The most reliable methods to check the versioning is as you've found seem to be LyncServerUpdateInstaller, the PowerShell command you've already found, and Pat Richard's script is pretty handy as well: http://www.ehloworld.com/2641

I can't answer why 556 is showing as the version, but there are different applications within Lync that are updated independently so using the methods you've already found is your best bet.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Lu2s Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info. I thought that this is may be normal but I did not found any info about the product version number anywhere. We only had the October 2013 update installed previously so I thought that this was some kind of error on our environment.

• Edited by Lu2s Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Monday, November 10, 2014 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:56 PM

All replies

• My suggestion would be reboot the server

and see if from add/remove programs or from LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe you still see that everything is up-to-date.

If yes I think then this is seems normal

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" Regards Edwin Anthony Joseph

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:14 AM
  • Hi Edwin thank you for the reply,

I have the same after restart, from LyncServerUpdateInstaller (downloaded once again from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36820) it says that everything is up-to-date.

I used the command:

Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from win32_product’ | where {$_.name -like “*Lync Server*”} | Select Name, Version | ft –AutoSize

the result seems correct:

Name                                                 Version
    ----                                                 -------
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Reach Fonts              5.0.8308.0
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Audio Test Service       5.0.8308.0
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Resource Kit Tools       5.0.8308.577
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Application Host         5.0.8308.0
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Conferencing Server      5.0.8308.420
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Core Management Server   5.0.8308.577
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Web Components Server    5.0.8308.815
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Administrative Tools     5.0.8308.726
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, XMPP Translating Gateway 5.0.8308.0
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Core Components          5.0.8308.815
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Web Conferencing Server  5.0.8308.726
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Mediation Server         5.0.8308.556
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Front End Server         5.0.8308.815

The only 5.0.8308.556 so the one that I see in Lync Control Panel and as product key in Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus is the mediation server component. So I have no idea from where this version is taken and it seems to my not normal behavior. One more note... If I do the same on EDGE:

Name                                                       Version
    ----                                                       -------
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Core Components                5.0.8308.815
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, XMPP Translating Gateway Proxy 5.0.8308.0
    Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Edge Server                    5.0.8308.815

And of course in Get-CSManagmentStoreReplicationStatus I have the same product old version displayed for EDGE and FRONT (replication is working)

Could someone that have the September 2014 CU installed can verify if the above versions are correct and tell me what product version he have in Lync CP and as return in Get-CSManagmentStoreReplicationStatus command?

• Edited by Lu2s Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:40 AM
  • I can confirm that I have the Sept update, I see the same versions installed running the PowerShell command, and I also see 556 from the Control Panel and from get-csmanagementstorereplicationstatus.  I believe this behavior is normal. 

The most reliable methods to check the versioning is as you've found seem to be LyncServerUpdateInstaller, the PowerShell command you've already found, and Pat Richard's script is pretty handy as well: http://www.ehloworld.com/2641

I can't answer why 556 is showing as the version, but there are different applications within Lync that are updated independently so using the methods you've already found is your best bet.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Lu2s Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info. I thought that this is may be normal but I did not found any info about the product version number anywhere. We only had the October 2013 update installed previously so I thought that this was some kind of error on our environment.

• Edited by Lu2s Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Monday, November 10, 2014 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:56 PM