none
Windows Disk Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I work at a library and just starting to review SteadyState for a possible migration next month.  This morning I tested moving a machine that previously had Microsoft Shared Toolkit.....

The main issue is that when I try to turn on Disk Protection, it says it is unsuccesful.  I dont get any more information than that and could not find any kind of a log....I have enough disk space...i have defragged and I did run a diskcheck....

Ok, background info.....I removed Shared Toolkit, defragged, and put on WindowsSteady State.....it seemed to work just fine and I was able to turn on disk protection....when I restarted the computer it booted up to a point and then hung for 15 minutes at a black screen....i did a hard reset and the computer would not boot backup, just continually rebooted.....tried some safe mode stuff (I could boot into safe mode) to no avail....

finally ended up doing a windows repair...which allowed me to boot up and then uninstalled and reinstalled steadystate several times......

I mention all of this because with all of the above something could be corrupted....any ideas on how to get back on track without having to flatten and do a complete windows install??????

Thursday, August 9, 2007 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Seromine,

What is the exact error message or error code when creating Windows Disk Protection (WDP) cache file? The issue can be closely related to corrupt hard disk. Let’s perform the following steps to check the result.

Run check disk and defrag the disk again

-----------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in “chkdsk /f” without quotations and press Enter. Type in Y and press Enter.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Defrag the drive C again.

As the issue can also be caused by software conflicts, please check if WDP can be enabled in Safe Mode. If the issue persists in Safe Mode, please check if there is any related errors in Event log:

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter.

3. Please check if there is any error in the Application and System parts.

Note: We can double click the event item to view the detailed information.

Please also understand that if your computer has already been used and reconfigured by multiple users, as shared computers often are, you should consider reinstalling Windows XP before installing Windows SteadyState. The following information is selected from SteadyState’s handbook:

Reasons to reinstall Windows XP:

Reformatting and reinstalling is the best way to help create a more secure environment, to help enhance user privacy, and to improve performance and stability.

Reinstalling Windows XP automatically removes the separate partition you may have created when you initially installed Shared Computer Toolkit.

Reinstalling gives you an opportunity to create a new disk partition. A separate disk partition can be useful when using Windows Disk Protection because you can use it to store permanent files and user profiles that you want to retain when the Windows Disk Protection cache is cleared.

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

I understand that it will take some time to reinstall the system. However, it should be a better choice to fix most issues efficiently.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:30 AM