none
Help/Advice on upgrade/migration RRS feed

• Question

• I am the new IT System Administrator for a company. I'll tell you a little back story to understand what has happened. I was brought in because the 2 previous admins didn't do their jobs. I have 2 servers currently. Main server is Small Business Server 2011 Standard, and the second server is Exchange Server 2008. I also have another server that was bought for the company not installed or configured at all. The owner wants me to figure out what to do to get everything modernized and future proofed as best as possible. I am trying to figure out where to start with the process and I don't truly know where to begin. I've read a bunch on this and I know there is a lot more to read up on. I just don't have anywhere to turn to get any help so any advice or help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    • Edited by DVP124 Friday, April 5, 2019 12:16 AM grammar
    Friday, April 5, 2019 12:15 AM

All replies

• hi,
     1 from your description you need to plan to migrate sbs2011 to Windows Server Essentials 2016 or Windows Server Essentials 2019 ,there are some documents for your reference to migrate from SBS2011 to server
    Essentials 2016
    Migrate Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard to Windows Server Essentials Migration process summary
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/migrate-windows-small-business-server-2011-standard-to-windows-server-essentials
    How to migrate Small Business Server 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials
    https://www.server-essentials.com/support/migrate-sbs-2011-to-windows-server-2016-essentials
    How to migrate from Exchange 2010 to Office 365
    https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/migrate-exchange-2010-office-365/
    Exchange Deployment Assistant
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-deployment-assistant?view=exchserver-2019

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 5, 2019 9:55 AM
  • hi,
    2 You may be able to buy Windows server 2019 Essential only in future ,so below document you need to know.
    Windows server 2019 Essential
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/90b34a33-e50f-444f-a467-2f666add50e3/windows-server-2019-essential?forum=ws16essentials

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 5, 2019 10:02 AM
  • How many users do you have currently? Did you already purchase licenses for the new server(s). If so, what did you buy?

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: How to migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials and How to migrate SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 5, 2019 10:12 AM
  • We have 50 employee's but office staff is 10 to 20 devices, The new server has no license yet. I didn't know where to begin this process. I've made sure all our backups are good, running, and able to be restored. I have found that We have Windows Server 2008 R2 with 2 roles installed. File Services, and Web Server (IIS) and then we have SBS2011 Standard as the main server with a lot of roles installed. I'm trying to figure out what path way I need to take for the migration since the owner wants to keep everything on premise. Cloud will eventually be an option but hard to make him budge on moving to the cloud currently. Is Office 365 necessary or can we stay with office 2016 professional? I see the article above titled How to migrate Exchange 2010 to office 365 but my server is Windows Server 2008 R2. If there is any other information you need please ask away. I also found out that originally they were on Windows 2000, upgraded to 2003, then to 2008. They didn't make anymore jumps because Exchange isn't supported in further server operating systems. That was the owners answer to my questions about the previous techs and what was done. This is going to be a long process because I have to basically get all the steps outlined and present it to management. With that being said any and al help is much appreciated.
    Friday, April 5, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Office 2016 Professional will do just fine. SBS 2011 normally has Exchange Server 2010 installed so that needs to be migrated to a new Windows Server 2016 + Exchange Server 2016. Your best option is to virtualize everything. This means that the server you already own is going to be the Hyper-V host for the virtual machines that run your new Domain Controller and the one that runs the new Exchange Server 2016.

If you choose to go for Windows Server 2016 you still get the Essentials experience role that includes the Essentials Dashboard. That Dashboard can work together with Exchange Server 2016 and the same as the Console does on the SBS 2011. Very nice tool for SMB's that want to keep maintenance simple and easy.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: How to migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials and How to migrate SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 5, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Friday, April 12, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Is there anything to help you?

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:53 AM