none
Tape library locked by host ( DPM ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ALL,

I’ve encountered a strange issue about DPM

The magazine of my tape library can’t be opened after finishing the backup job, and a error log will be shown “locked by the host”

I’ve tried to stop DPM service and confirmed the status of “library door” is unlocked in DPM,  but seem useless

Then the only method seem works is restarting the server, but the same error would happen next time. I just guess there are some process blocked but failed to confirm.

Any advice or solution would be appreciated ! ~lol

P.S. I use DPM 2007 SP1 v2.0.8864.0 & Dell tape library  PowerVault TL2000

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1.) Reset the tape drive to factory defaults:

Go to the Dell Web management interface select manage it, Select to reset to factory defaults.

2.) Make sure firmware for Library and the tape drives is latest version.

3.) Install the latest Dell drivers for both the Library/Tape drives.

Driver installer will be called “nonexclusive” for both.

NOTE: Dell documentation states to install the “exclusive” This is incorrect only the nonexclusive works for DPM.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.) Reset the tape drive to factory defaults:

Go to the Dell Web management interface select manage it, Select to reset to factory defaults.

2.) Make sure firmware for Library and the tape drives is latest version.

3.) Install the latest Dell drivers for both the Library/Tape drives.

Driver installer will be called “nonexclusive” for both.

NOTE: Dell documentation states to install the “exclusive” This is incorrect only the nonexclusive works for DPM.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

appreciated ur adv

It was resolved by updating the latest IBM Tape lib driver

Monday, August 16, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Great, can you supply the working driver details - driver name and version ?  And possibly a link of the location to download the driver from.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

I've tried two drivers, and both of them work

one is "LTO" driver bound with windows

another is IBMTape.x86 ver. 6207, maybe it's not the latest ver

there seem two kinds of tape driver named exclusive and nonexclusive, kindly note should install the "nonexclusive" one for DPM.

update the link:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Windows/archive/Win2003/

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi ALL,

I’ve encountered a strange issue about DPM

The magazine of my tape library can’t be opened after finishing the backup job, and a error log will be shown “locked by the host”

I’ve tried to stop DPM service and confirmed the status of “library door” is unlocked in DPM,  but seem useless

Then the only method seem works is restarting the server, but the same error would happen next time. I just guess there are some process blocked but failed to confirm.

Any advice or solution would be appreciated ! ~lol

P.S. I use DPM 2007 SP1 v2.0.8864.0 & Dell tape library  PowerVault TL2000

I am using the DPM 2007 SP1 v2.0.8793.0 and all Dell PowerVault TL2000, I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you. Can you please provide a solution to me ? I found that there is NO need to reboot the DPM server but simply switch off and then switch on the Dell PowerVault TL2000.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:29 AM
  • Hi There,

This is an old post, do you know if using the non_exclusive driver is still the case.

I am trying to manage a Dell ML3 Tape Library through DPM2019 and all seems OK until you try and erase tapes or Rescan the library, DPM either fails the jobs or sits there for hours trying to do an Inventory.

The Dell provided GUI does an Inventory and displays OK.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers,

LM

Friday, January 10, 2020 12:14 PM
  • Hi,

I don't know how the new ML3 drivers install - I believe V6.2.6.8 that are located HERE

However that library (along with TL2000/4000) and maybe others requires the below registry entry to work properly with DPM.

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent 
    DWORD: RSMCompatMode 
    Value: 13 (Decimal) 

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 10, 2020 3:27 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks, I have those drivers installed.

I will try the Reg key..any others I should be aware of ?

All seemed fine until we tried media handling.

I set all the protection groups up with Short Term to disk and Long Term to tape.

We then decided to remove 5 tape and due to sensitivity of the data they need to be erased, the Changer has 5 IO slots that I think need to be empty for tape removal..

We decided to start from scratch and erase all the tapes (this is a new backup system), and ran into problems.

I am trying to remove the "Long Term protection to tape" from all the protection groups 1st and then format/erase all the tapes, and re add long term protection.. but currently it is taking over an hour via the GUI to remove long term protection per group !, any idea why that is ?

Am I doing this the right way ?

Saturday, January 11, 2020 2:01 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure why modifying the PG's would take so long but you can automate it by running the below DPM Powershell script.  Copy this into notepad then save the RemoveLTtape.ps1 and run it.

$DPMservername=(&hostname)

$protectedgroups = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName $dpmservername 

foreach ($pg in $protectedgroups) 

Get-ModifiableProtectionGroup -ProtectionGroup $pg 
    Set-ProtectionType -ProtectionGroup $pg -ShortTerm disk 
    Set-ProtectionGroup $pg 
    }

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 13, 2020 3:20 PM
  • Wicked, I will try and let you know

Much appreciated

Any other Reg Keys I should know about ?

• Edited by Lord Melch Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:39 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2020 3:44 PM
  • Re Reg Keys for DPM, also found this one.

Enabling Short Erase

First make sure that your tape drive supports short erase, then you can enable it on the DPM server by creating the DWORD UseShortErase under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent.

Set the value of the DWORD to 00000000.

After this value is set, all erase operations on the DPM server will be short erases.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:04 AM
  • Mike,

One question, how do I set the LongTerm protection back to Tape?

I have tried below but the Set-DPMTapeBackupOption is needed and I can't get it to work..

--------------

$DPMservername=(&hostname)
    $DpmLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary (&hostname)
    $protectedgroups = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName $dpmservername

foreach ($pg in $protectedgroups)
    {
    Get-ModifiableProtectionGroup -ProtectionGroup $pg
    Set-DPMTapeBackupOption -ProtectionGroup $pg -BackupLibrary $DpmLibrary -DrivesAllocated 1
    Set-ProtectionType -ProtectionGroup $pg -ShortTerm disk -LongTerm tape
    Set-ProtectionGroup $pg
    }

-----------

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:38 AM
  • Mike,

More info (script taken from the MS Docs):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dataprotectionmanager/set-dpmtapebackupoption?view=systemcenter-ps-2019

$PGroup = Get-DPMProtectionGroup "Contoso-DPMServer"
    PS C:\> $MPGroup = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup -ProtectionGroup $PGroup[0]
    PS C:\> $DpmLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary "Contoso-DPMServer"
    PS C:\> Set-DPMTapeBackupOption -ProtectionGroup $MPGroup -BackupLibrary $DpmLibrary -DrivesAllocated 1
    PS C:\> Set-DPMProtectionGroup -ProtectionGroup $MPGroup

Produces:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-DPMTapeBackupOption -ProtectionGroup $MPGroup -BackupLibrary $DpmLibrary -DrivesAllocated 1
    Set-DPMTapeBackupOption : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type
    'Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.LibraryManagement.Library' required by parameter 'BackupLibrary'.
    Specified method is not supported.
    At line:1 char:66
    + ... upOption -ProtectionGroup $MPGroup -BackupLibrary $DpmLibrary -Drives ...
    +                                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-DPMTapeBackupOption], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.SetTapeBac
       kupOption

PS C:\Windows\system32> $DpmLibrary

Name                                                           DriveCount SlotCount NumberOfIEPortSlots ProtectionGroups            
    ----                                                           ---------- --------- ------------------- ----------------            
    Library: IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library: (Disabled)                 2        35                   5 Servers; Servers1...
    Stand-alone Drive: LTO Tape drive: (Offline)                            1         0                   0                             
    Stand-alone Drive: IBM ULTRIUM 7 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE: (Offline)          1         0                   0                             

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:51 AM
  • Try this.

$DpmLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary  | where {$_.name  -eq "Library: IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library: (Disabled)"}

Verfy $Dpmlibrary returns a single library.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 10:41 PM
  • Yep $Dpmlibrary just returns the IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:38 AM
  • Did you try using that updated command in your script so it only selects s single library ?

$DpmLibrary = Get-DPMLibrary  | where {$_.name  -eq "Library: IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library: (Disabled)"}

Friday, January 17, 2020 3:10 PM
  • I did, still fails, trying to make modification changes to say tape schedules via the GUI can take an hour or so to save the changes..

Fighting with the Set-DPMTapeBackupOption as I also need to add all the settings for a LTR to tape per PG as per the post here :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/daa842db-f26f-43ad-bccf-e0bf71adda0a/set-long-term-protection-to-tape-via-ps?forum=dpmpowershell

• Edited by Lord Melch Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:06 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2020 1:39 PM
  • Morning Mike,

More questions if I may..

I notice from another thread re Tape backups (LTP) you say "Make sure the weekly and monthly backups are scheduled for the same day." - is this always the case ?

The current Tape Library only has one tape drive so obviously is can only I do backups to one tape at a time, and as I understand it each PG backup is saved to one tape.

So if I have 5 PG's it make sence to round robin the tape backups so that they can complete before the next tape backup ? PG1 - Mon, PG2 - Tue, PG3 Wed etc ?

If a tape backup is not complete and the next wants to start do they wait, and or everntually fail ?

Re the library, I get the attached odd error, it says it can't inventory a tape because it is not in a slot it has been moved to an IE port for removal. Am I right in thinking that is just for information. If a slot is empty wouldn't it just make sence to say so..?

• Edited by Lord Melch Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:03 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

If you only have a single tape drive but have multiple backup goals, then you need to schedule them for the same day and select the option to only backup the highest goal so tape copy jobs are not scheduled.

By default - each PG will go onto a seperate tape, but you can configure tape co-location by making a tape PGSet and then select multiple PG's to add to that set.  While on the library link - click the optimize usage icon.

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library - or if you are using a standalone tape drive that needs you to manually change the tape, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup.  The same is true during a restore, if a needed tape is not in the library an alert will be raised.  By Default, DPM It will wait for 1 hour before failing the job with an error.

Error:
    failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultirum-2 drive (ID 24050)

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry "PromptingTimeOut" under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting" 

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000 (dec) = 12hrs 

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

=-=-=Value is in milliseconds=-=-= 
    3600000 = 1 hour 
    43200000 = 12 hours 
    86400000 = 24 hours 
    129600000 = 36 hours 
    172800000 = 48 hours 

Restart the DPMRA service.

Yes  - the screen shot is an unnecessary alert - it's expected that if a tape is in use for an ongoing backup when the inventory is triggered that the tape will not be in the slot.  Same would be true if you eject the tape manually and didn't fetch it yet.   Gotta love programmers 8-)

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:47 PM
  • Mike,

>If you only have a single tape drive but have multiple backup goals, then you need to schedule them for >the same day and select the option to only backup the highest goal so tape copy jobs are not scheduled.

So the customer has an autoloader, but one tape drive. Are you saying we should run all the tape backups on the same day at the same time. I have looked but can't see any "highest goal" setting (DPM 2019)

What do you mean by "Tape Copy Jobs"

>By default - each PG will go onto a seperate tape, but you can configure tape co-location by making a tape >PGSet and then select multiple PG's to add to that set.  While on the library link - click the optimize usage >icon.

Gottcha, I will create 3 PGSets, two with the major PG with most data and one for all the rest.

FYI managed to get the largest PG to back to tape last night... :-) all on one tape, will create as above and see if they all work..

"Gotta love programmers 8-)" ;-)

• Edited by Lord Melch Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:34 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:32 AM
  • >FYI managed to get the largest PG to back to tape last night... :-) all on one tape, will create as above and >see if they all work.

Was a small victory, all subsequent Tape backup jobs failing :-(

Friday, January 24, 2020 1:56 PM
  • Hi sorry for the delay. Tape copy operations occur when you have multiple tape goals (daily, weekly, monthly etc) and you want both goals on separate tapes. To make the additional (longer goal) tape, DPM will mount the tape for goal one and copy the dataset to another tape. This requires two tape drives. If you only have single tape drive you need to select the option to only run the tape backup for the higher goal so tape copy job is not necessary. For this to occur you need to schedule the multiple tape goals to run on the same day. Why are you tape backups failing ? What are the details of the failed tape backup jobs ? Regards Mike Jacquet

Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:04 AM
  • Mike,

Denada, thankyou for helping.

I will draft a full message 1st thing Monday SA we are close to getting it to work.

Then we would have a template as I have more to roll out

Have a nice weekend

Cheers,

Lm

Saturday, January 25, 2020 5:04 PM
  • Morning Mike,

Currently we have Mon-Friday Weekly and then monthly LTB jobs (no daily) The Weekly and monthly are set for the same day.

3 x PG Sets

OK more details below.

The DPM server is iSCSI connected to one volume on a EQL SAN, for the STR backups.

Tape Library SAS connected..

Three LTB tape jobs were scheduled for the weekend, all failed, although a small ammount of data was written to the tape (all on the same tape via the PGSets :-) ) 

I have listed the Disk errors that may have an influence

STR - Disk errors

Approx 70 from last 2 days. mostly from the Protection Groups that tried to tape backup over the weekend

Monitoring -> Critical:

Affected area:    D:\
    Occurred since:    27/01/2020 08:05:04
    Description:    Recovery point creation jobs for Volume D:\ on server.domain have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.
     If the data source protected has some dependent data sources (like a SharePoint Farm), then click on the Error Details to view the list of dependent data sources for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)
    The DPM service terminated unexpectedly during completion of the job. The termination may have been caused by a system reboot. (ID 910)
    More information
    Recommended action:    Retry the operation.
    Create a recovery point...
    Resolution:    To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate

LTR Tape Errors

1 Backup to tape ran OK earlier in the week, all other failed (or partially ran) and produced and error like the one below:

The back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID 3311)

Montoring -> Critical -> View Detailed Errors:

(Sorry can't insert the screen grab)

Datasource Error Details  

Protected Member        Error Details    

c:\dpm\domain.com      The DPM Service Terminated unexpectedly during completion of the job

the termination may have been caused by a system reboot (ID 910)

Lots of the same...

Around the same time as the Tape Backups started lots of the below in the Windows Log -> System

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk7\DR13498 during a paging operation

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume14108'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xC03A001C.

Cheers,

LM

• Edited by Lord Melch Monday, January 27, 2020 10:24 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like the msdpm service is crashing which is causing problems.  Crashes are not easily diagnosed in a forum setting, so I recommend opening a support ticket so those crashes get fixed. Once they are fixed then we can see if the backup jobs run better. 

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Monday, January 27, 2020 3:47 PM
  • OK will give that a go.

Thank you.

Cheers,

LM

Monday, January 27, 2020 6:14 PM