Disk Data Transfer Rate Dramatically Decreased RRS feed

• Question

• When my computer began to inconsistently lag during various operations (across all applications and system functions), I started investigating what was wrong.  Eventually, I noticed that disk reads seemed to be the problem.  A few hardware test applications said the drives were healthy, but the Vista Experience Index reported the Disk data transfer rate score at 2.5 (it had previously been 5.9).  

I defrag weekly (it is scheduled) and regularly run the disk clean up util.  The disk is current configured in a RAID stripe via NVIDIA's tool.  There is one volume for applications/OS (500+ gigs free) and another factory image for recovery (1.5 gigs free). 

Anyone know of a way to better investigate a decreased data xfer rate problem?  Maybe I should remove the RAID configuration?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

May I know which type of RAID you have built?

Based on my research, please check the following:

1.    Please ensure that the drivers for your RAID controller and motherboard are up-to-date.

2.    Please ensure that all the updates have been applied and check the issue with the following Knowledge Base:

How to improve the performance and reliability of Windows Vista if you cannot upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

If possible, please bypass the RAID controller and plug the hard drive to the motherboard to see if it works better.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:21 AM