none
DPM 2012 Central Console only from SCOM console? RRS feed

• Question

• I might be a little confused, or I have a bad setup.

After configuring DPM 2012 RC Central Console on a SCOM 2012 Beta server, I am able to manage the DPM 2012 RC server I have running from the SCOM console. 

However, when I launch the DPM client side console locally from SCOM, or from a third server and point it at the scom server I get the following error

"The computer scom.test.priv is either not a DPM server or it does not support centralized management and troubleshooting. (ID:33321)"

If I point the DPM client side console directly at the DPM 2012 RC server, it is able to remotely mange DPM just fine.  Also, as I mentioned, SCOM can mange the DPM server just fine from the SCOM console.

Is this because the SCOM server is currently a BETA release?> Or, is the Central Management console only supposed to be available from the SCOM console?  My understanding was that the Central Management client side console should point to SCOM, and be able to manage all DPM servers that are managed by SCOM.

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:30 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Kyle,

Central Console is available only from the SCOM console. DPM client side console(DPM Remote Administration console) connects only to the DPM server. It cannot connect with the SCOM sever.

If you want to run the Central Console from a client then you need to:

1. Install DPM Central Console server components on the SCOM management server and import Management Packs.

2. Install SCOM client on the client machine and Install DPM Central Console Client componenets on it.

3. Start SCOM Console and from there you can manage all the DPM servers.

Thanks,

Anjani

Thanks, Anjani Kumar. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Kyle,

Central Console is available only from the SCOM console. DPM client side console(DPM Remote Administration console) connects only to the DPM server. It cannot connect with the SCOM sever.

If you want to run the Central Console from a client then you need to:

1. Install DPM Central Console server components on the SCOM management server and import Management Packs.

2. Install SCOM client on the client machine and Install DPM Central Console Client componenets on it.

3. Start SCOM Console and from there you can manage all the DPM servers.

Thanks,

Anjani

Thanks, Anjani Kumar. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Hello All,

I think I have lost the focus.

After having set up the Central Console Server Components at SCOM server, when I have authorized any of the domain user on a profile for RBA, can this user get connection setting up Central Console Client Side Components via its own permissions into the DPM Server??

Unfortunately, without doing local admin this domain user in DPM Server, It cannot connect.

How is that working exactly?
    In fact, our intention is the following:
    There are 20 locations and in each location Windows Server 2008 ADC is already setup and tape units is connected to these units.  We want to from one of the support team, to be able to backup tape unit from Windows Server 2008 (ADC), making DPM 2012 with RBA to be able to backup(without local admin permission, because it is Domain Controller).

Thanks.
    Monday, May 13, 2013 6:45 AM